Fender precision re62 versus re70

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by contrabassie, Jul 16, 2004.

1. contrabassie

Mar 11, 2003
    The fender precision 70 reissue has a thinner neck (jazz style) than the 62 reissue. Does that influence the sound of these basses?

If there isn’t any difference in the sound, is there an other reason why I shouldn’t by the precision with the thin neck?
  2. I assume you're talking about the Japanese models, because they are the only ones with a 70s reissue. In essence they are the same. I believe the bodies are both alder and they both have American Vintage pickups. However, the neck is a nice touch on the 70, and the color options are obviously different (only white with black pickguard on the 70s one). The thinner neck probably doesn't affect the tone, but feels better for a Jazz bass fan (like myself). However, some players prefer a larger neck (traditional P fans) and so it may not be a good choice for them. The neck on the 70s isn't a Jazz one, however. A Jazz has a 38mm neck at the nut, and a P has 42. The 70s Pbass has a 40mm neck at the nut, which is a compromise I'd assume. I personally love the 40mm neck, because it's not that much larger than a Jazz neck and still retains its P-bass personality.
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    No effect on sound. The only reason why you shouldnt but the one with the thinner neck is if you like the one with the thicker neck better.