1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision S-1.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thefruitfarmer, Apr 23, 2006.

1. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Just how useful are peeps finding that little switch?

I have one of these basses; I am happy with the tone of it and feel it is a very nice piece of wood. However, I don't find that flicking the switch makes a significant enough difference for it to be that much use to me.

2. I find that it significantly adds another dimension to the tone, giving it a snappier ring.

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

IMO even without the S1 it's worth it, the S1 sounds nice enough to make it that much sweeter.

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    When I got my American P-bass with the s-1, it had a bad volume pot. I wasnt all that crazy about the s-1 to begin with, so when my tech replaced the volume pot I also had him take out the s-1, and I dont miss it one bit.

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love the S1 switch on my Jazz, its always on. Im not the type of player to have a really bass heavy tone but I love the way it fattens up my sound and adds that extra punch.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    At first I didn't find it useful, because I couldn't understand wanting to thin out the tone of a P-bass, except possibly for some recordings. (I used it on my Jazz though.) But I'm in another band now, and if I still had it, I would use it on some material that requires a lighter touch. Of course it doesn't work anymore, because I've installed a Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot for P-bass that has two conductor wire, and won't work with the switch. The pickup is excellent though, so it's worth the tradeoff.

7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I never use the S1 on my P bass.

8. I'm currently in the market for a new bass, and I went to a shop for an hour and a half to sit down with both the s1 versions jazz and precision, as I love the sound 'em both.

I currently play a Japanese Fender Jazz and love the way it feels when you play it, and the versatility it gives you.
    Before that I used a Precision. and just loved the Precision sound and the general sturdyness o the bass.

So, as you can imagine, going to check them both out with the s1 switch(which id never played or heard), with a view to spanking almost a grand on a new bass, I was quite excited, and felt it would be an interesting couple of hours playing, trying to decide which one was for me.

How wrong was I?

Before i played the basses, I asked 'shop boy' his opinion on which he'd buy if he had the choice. He very quickly pointed at the jazz and said "that one"...i dismissed him pretty quickly.

In my opinion the s1 switch on the jazz bass made it about the most versatile bass I have ever come cross - any sounds can be dialed in if need be. Its just stunning!

The dissapointment on my face as I played the precision was apparently evident as the shop geezer laughed at me from 30 ft away with that "I told you so" look on his face.
    ...he was right.

For me, the Jazz with the S1 switch is the daddy.

And the Precision, if you add the S1 switch to it...its abit like ...well ... a great white shark, but with no teeth!

Anyone else find this with the S1 switchers?

Bryndog

9. I don't like the idea of those switches.. well at least not on the P-bass.
    Don't mess with perfection.

10. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    no versatile no no

11. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    Ive put the switch in my jazz and love it. Could someone post a diagram for the p bass version so i can do it to my p? Thanks.

12. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I have a Mexican Jazz with the series/parallel modification done to it, and it's fantastic in series mode. I wouldn't own a Jazz Bass that didn't have that option.
    I've only tried the S-1 on a Precision in a store, but I couldn't see the point of it. It thins out the great Precision sound. :confused:
    I'm sure there is a player somewhere who could do something with it, but for me, it has no use.

13. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

I have to second that

14. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    the opening the passive tone knob thins out the sound enough, let alone adding an s-1 switch. A P bass is fine the way it is with 500k pots. Throw in an Aguilar OBP3 if you want a list of more options

15. the only reason i would buy the S-1 P-bass would be to get the option of a maple fingerboard.i think they should do the american series withthe S-1 as an option

16. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    On my S1 P (as well as on my S1 J) the difference between switch on and switch off is HUGE. Basically, I find the switch on parallel mode very useful for modern slap tones, and the series mode for all the rest.

Cheers
    Jay

17. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Hi Jay...

May I ask what strings you use on the S-1 PB?

I hear the DR low riders are effective with the S-1 switch.

Regards

Tim

18. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    This question is going to make me look stupid...

But the switch is nothing more than a series/parallel switch, right?

19. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    yeah, that is what it is

20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Nor do I. I prefer the "series" setting. I guess the parallel settng might be cool for slappers.

I've put flatwounds on my MIA and I use it for a Jamerson/Duck Dunn vintage P-Bass sound.