1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision Slab Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by telecopy, Dec 2, 2017.

1. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Watching a YT video of The Animals from around 1964, presenting Baby, Can I Take You Home, I noticed Chas Chandler was not holding a hollow body bass like he is usually associated with. It appeared to be a Fender P slab body. I found a page about the slab. It read about 30 were sent to Great Britain around 1966, all Olympic White with maple necks. Most were bought by noted players; John Entwhistle, Chip Hawkes.. The thing I noticed about the Chas Chandler bass was a dark fretboard. The bass looks white in the black and white video. I know it's not important, but does anybody know what may be going on here?

Search:
    uniqueguitar blogspot fender precision slab bass

Edit- maybe not white. Sonic/daphne blue or fiesta red? But that doesn't fit the slab story.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. bass4more

bass4more Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    That bass looks contoured and does not look oly white, at least to me.

Zane DeBord, ahc and Linnin like this.
  3. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Thanks for reply. At about 2:40 give or take, under his right hand, it doesn't look like there is a contour. It doesn't matter really, I just thought I would see if anybody was interested. Thanks back4more.

back4more likes this.
  4. bass4more

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    I kind of see what you mean, but it definitely looks like the bass has a belly contour at 2:42.

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Best shot is 0:40-44 you can clearly see the contour, and this is most definitely a standard production Fender Precision with a rosewood fretboard. Worth a small fortune today.

back4more likes this.
  6. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Yeah I see that too..

back4more likes this.
  7. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Yep fer sher..

8. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Thanks for responses. It seemed like an interesting question. Those few slab basses must be very valuable.

back4more and Linnin like this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I'd be interested in reading that page if you have a link. One thing we all should have romped on is that you'll never see a 1966 instrument in a 1964 video. D'oh!:facepalm:

The first 1951-53 Precisions were all slabs just like the Telecaster guitar. Starting in 1954 Precisions became contoured, and to the best of my knowledge would remain that way with exception of custom shop creations.

In 1968 CBS brought out a recreation of the early single coil slab Precisions and named them the Telecaster Bass. They were blonde with a maple cap for the fretboard on a maple neck instead of the traditional Fender 'white neck' (frets in the neck w/o fretboard). These didn't sell well at all and the pickup changed to a Seth Lover designed humbucker (aka 'mudbucker') in 1969. These didn't sell any better and finial they were quietly discontinued in 1971 (or so not completely sure) The '68s are now selling in the $3,000 USD range.
    Fender Telecaster Bass 1968 Blonde Price Guide

telecopy and back4more like this.
  10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Wait, I found it! On page 43 of 'The Fender Bass An Illustrated History'.
    "In 1966, Fender created an unusual custom Precision Bass for the U.K. Basically identical to any 1966 Precision Bass, it did not feature a top and back contour, reminiscent of Leo's original 1950's Precision or slab body instruments. This feature added weight but created a desired collectable. Another unique feature of this instrument was the black pickguard ..."

11. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
  12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I've seen that photo of Barry Matthews and John Entwistle with the slab '66 Precision before, but didn't realize it was a slab or special. Thanks for the link.

telecopy likes this.
  13. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    I've been intrigued by this black slab P-bass played by Larry Taylor here at Monterey Pop in '67.

14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Good Catch @consectaneus! Lot of nice tall all tube silverfaced Fender amps to be seen at the end. Sounds soooo good.

telecopy and Tbone76 like this.
  15. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Not quite.

The original Telecaster Bass was built from 1968-71. In 1972, a new pickguard along with the humbucking pickup and 3-bolt neck design came along. These basses were finally discontinued in 1979.

There's also no "fretboard" as such on most Tele basses, only the earliest of the early ones had maple necks with no skunk stripes, the rest of them sported one piece "C" shaped maple necks.

telecopy, sneha1965 and Linnin like this.
  16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I've read a ton of different dates. The only thing that matters is they are dead.
    Correct. As far as I've read only the '68 had a maple cap and therefore no 'skunk stripe'.

telecopy likes this.
  17. bass4more

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, man, I didn't even know about these basses before your post. So thanks for the education!

telecopy likes this.
  18. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    Ace Kefford (The Move) also had a slab precision:

cdef and telecopy like this.
  19. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I put it up in the original post. I don't know how to paste a link here. There must be a trick to it. I try to paste in anything by holding my finger on the phone screen and get no paste option.
    Easier on a PC.. Its kind of spelled out in the top post.

20. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    As a curiosity, according to Barry Matthews' research, at least 7 of these late slab-bodied Precisions were sold in the USA, and at least two of those had a r/w fretboard. Here's what might have been the last, as it left the Fender factory in mid-'67, equipped with a tort pg and, uniquely, oval "lollipop" tuners. It was originally purchased at Manny's in NYC, then bought by Eric Weissberg, who sold it a few years ago.

38011431967_slab_p.