Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Precision Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bill_emo, Jul 20, 2003.

1. bill_emo

bill_emo

Apr 2, 2003
    aldergrove
    Ive taking a liking to the Fender Precision Special, (deluxe). What kind of sound can the j-bass pick up put out? is it a reconizable jazz tone? or does the P-sytle body give it a new sound? does the J-pick up hum?

2. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I had a japanese jazz special and i only used the p-pick/up,alone it was deep and powerful,when the jazz was added to the mix it was a bit weaker of a sound, kinda like a p-bass with a warmer tone.
    I now prefer one or the other,if you get one, go with the japanese models,they are better made than the mexican by far,sound better,and are cheaper to buy used.
    I put Dimarzios in mine and it made a world of difference,but the jazz pick/up still cut down the thump,try one out they'er worth it.:D

3. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    I have the 2002 MIM model. The jazz pick up is a lot weaker then the percision. And also there is a hum but i just turn the jazz down a bit and it fixes that problem. More pros then cons for this bass. I love my bass.

4. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i tried one at the store last year, it was an American model (i think they're discontinued?)
    I really like it alot.
    i thought the jazz pickup mellowed out the P pickup rather than weaken it. Gives the traditional P more options and had a jazz-style neck.
    Almost bought it...

5. I have a MIA Hot-Rodded P(yes they have been discontinued for a couple years)
    It does have the same pickup config with the p and the j.
    I use this as my main bass. I can get a wide variety of sounds i find. It wont however sound like a jazz bass...you can get it close, but not quite there i find.
    The MIM deluxe models are pretty cool from what i seen though(a little noisier than my MIA, but hardly worth complaining about).
    Im seriously thinking about picking one up myself to use as a backup to my 'hot-rod'.