1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision Sting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Sep 27, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i am a lover of precision basses.

i just have a thing with the old style '51 P. and there is a used Sting in the shop near where i live.

i have an american P so i'd like to know to your ears what are the differences in sound from the Sting and the MIa SERIE.

is there anyone out there who use the Sting with Flats?

and anyone changed the bridge?

2. Hey Barroso, come stai?

I played one of those Sting basses about a year ago and I liked it a lot. It has a good tone, but, from what I remember it's not as percussive as a modern split pickup P-bass. It has a very vintage type sound that you can hear right away. It doesn't have the crystal clear high end that a lot of today's basses have. The one I played had roundwounds on it, but, you can tell if you put flats on it, you would be back in the 1950s. I played it the same day I played the Steve Harris model, another bass I'd like to own. Very thick P-bass sound. Yummy! I just wish it didn't have the "Sting" position marker at the twelfth fret, but, I think the whole world agrees on that.

It's a pretty good bass. You're going to buy it *AFTER* you buy a Jack Casady, correct? :D

Good luck. Talk to you later

Mike J.

3. I own a japanese '51 Reissue (not the Sting signature) from the early '90s and keep it strung with flats. The bridge works but looks quite shallow and, to my eyes, incredibly ugly. I have had plans on replacing it with either a Badass II or something heavy that allows stringing through the body. The sound is distinct and different from the one associated with post '57 P-basses in such aspects as the output being MUCH lower and the lowend almost non-existant. The single-coil wiring of the pickup is also very partial to picking up all kinds of noice and hum. However, I really like this bass and find the neck one of the nicest I have ever played. The sound can be improved by replacing the pickup with something stronger (Seymour Duncan SCPD "Hot" or "QP", Rio Grande Muy Grande and such), and is really vintage-sounding as it is (original).

4. Whoa! How about that Smallface - both of our posts said pretty much the same thing, and were posted at the same moment. :)

Kind of scary in a way, don't you think? :eek:

Mike J. :D

5. Wow! It just HAS to be telepathy :D

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Micheal!

tutto bene!!

i am in deep troubles here, man. i went to the shop and tried the Casady, then i tried the Sting. the shopkeeper told me that he had a new Sting and a used one really great looking and as new.
    i like them both and i can't decide, you know i am a P man at heart and i felt at home with the Sting. The Casady is GREAT sounding and love the bass a lot.

only thing that make me dubious is that the bass is completely hollow, i mean that there is no center block and the only piece of wood in it is where the bridge is screwed. i am afraid that the bass could be too fragile in my hands of rude rocker. and could this pass the test of time?!?!

thanks again guys you rock both!!

i love old schoiol guys!!

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

8. Yup.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Proud sting owner here. MIne is strung with T.I. flats and it sounds great.I think this is an awesome bass set up this way but I would not recommend this set up if this is you only bass. This set up would limit you to only a few types of styles, but if you have a few basses like many of us do than this is a must have! And as for the bridge it is what it is. Mine is still original.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    pyrohr

so, T.I. flats are long enough for the string thru body bridge?

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Barroso my T.I.s are long enough. the e string clears the nut but not by much. I was surprised to see how many sting basses had that problem. By the way I m using JF344 flatwounds.

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i am not sure to have understood what you mean with "the e string clears the nut but not by much".

sorry but i am from italy and my english-american is not that good.

can you please explain that aspect of the G string in other words?

thanks a lot, i'll really appreciate!

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I just traded a blk 83 Pbass for my new Sting and I haven't put it down since Friday when I got it.
    The quality of this bass is incredible and the tone is thick with a deep bottom, I have rounds on mine.
    My MIA Pbass has more midrange honk and a growl you can only get from a pbass. Two totaly different anomals but I'm really diggin the Sting, I can't wait to play it with the band.
    [​IMG]

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Funkster!

that the nicest one i have seen. the one i am looking at the shop where i live is 2 pieces of wood but they are glued so nicely that you can't quite tell where the glued part is.

i plat to use it with flats.
    have you tried the Sting with the band? what do you think? are you still in love?

thanks for the advice!! and keep on rocking!

15. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    barroso I played it through my rig with a three piece band on Tues and it was killer, Fun to play, great tone and the neck is awesome. I think it's the best feeling new Fender neck made today, jmho! I had no problem hearing myself or definition. I had to dial up some more mids to my liking but it is a great player and it sounds great. Very different than the modern split pup Pbass.

I played it last night with a band I'm jamming with and I played it through someone else's rig, Let me add that the band has two keybaord players and three vocalist a pretty loud drummer and guitar player. I had a real hard time hearing myself and or any definition in the Sting, I'm chaulking it up to not playing through my own rig and competing with two left keyboard hands.
    I'm playing it tnight with my 5 peice regular band with my Eden rig so we'll see how she does tonight.

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks for the reply!

so i'll wait just to hear the feedback of the sting with your band and your rig!!

thanks!!

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I finally got the $449.99 sale Sting I ordered from Musician's Friend last March in September. It's a beautiful instrument, and that was a great price - though I had to wait forever to get it.

Couple of points: It's not a '53 reissue, but the regular Fender Japan '54 RI with the stupid inlay stuck in it for the export American market. The sunburst was not available in '53. Why this misinformation is still floating around, I dunno. Supposedly, Sting's actual bass is a '57, but that's another subject...

Not all Stings are uniformly beautiful. While the finish quality is higher than MIAs, there is just no telling about the body glueups. I have seen some really hideous ones on EBay with grossly mismatched pieces of ash, sometimes diagonally across the bouts and all sorts of goofy stuff, like the object was not to waste a sliver of ash in the shop. Fortunately, mine is a very pretty one with a fairly nicely matched two-piece body, but the body matching is generally inferior to MIAs. Otherwise, the Stings are stunning.

The vintage bridge is a total nosebleed. Because of the string ferrules being set a lot shallower in the body than on MIA through-body basses, the Sting requires longer strings to make it past the nut, a minimum of 37" from the center of the ball hole to the place where the windings step down or the silk starts. This eliminates a lot of strings!

The Sting is supposed to come with either 7250 or 8250 Fender strings, but because of this problem, they come with crappy generic stainless steel roundwound strings instead, as 7250s and 8250s won't work on this instrument. These provided stainless strings will not intonate on the bass and will eat up the small vintage frets in short order.

Further, because of the short bridge plate, it is often impossible to approach intonation without getting the D-G saddle adjustment screws off the plate and onto the wood. Look at the picture below. Note the D-G saddle adjustment screws protruding to the very edge of the bridgeplate. If you look closely, you can see that they protrude in front of the saddle. This is due to the very odd geometry problems inherent to the bridge design.

You can get some strings (again, if they're long enough!) to set up and intonate fairly well, but it takes a lot of experimentation. Also, you will have to put small notches on the saddle bars so that the A and D strings do not slip downward and outward, away from center. You can see that the bass in the picture has this problem, too.

There is a stock Fender Precision through-body bridge that is a drop-in replacement that will take care of some of these problems, but I do not modify my instruments. I've just about gotten mine set up OK, but I want to find flats that will work. Then I'll be in business. Making the vintage bridge work is a challenge, but it is possible.

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    BTW, I would also like to hear if anyone got flats to work out with a stock Sting.

Thanks...

19. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    i was able to string mine with TI flats and properly intonate it, though i hear many can't. the silk just was right at the edge of the nut on the e string. sounded great, but different from a standard p with flats. had the same problem with the bridge saddle in that the string kept slipping as you already noted. i had to loosen the truss rod completely with the low tension TIs and had a low action. great feeling neck. i was thinking of keeping it just for the neck when i sold it because i just wasn't playing it all that much anymore. if anyone's interested, i think it's still on chrisguitars.com for a very good price. it's hardly played.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    "Dude" Barr tells me that the extra-long TIs are the ticket, with well over 38" of useable length from the ball to the wrapping. The Sting requires 37" - which is definitely a lot.

I had a set of mystery roundwound strings I got from FatDawg in Berkeley sometime in the '80s that work fine, but I'm really after some flats. I don't want to drop that kind of money on strings that might not work on the bass, though.