1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision V aftermarket pickup research

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rickter, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Rickter

Rickter

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I am the proud owner of a recently purchased Fender American Precision Five String. Have had it a few months and I still love it.

That said, the "make it mine" bug is still biting at me some....

So I have been trying to research aftermarket pickups for the P5 that is in Fender's 3+2 offset pattern. There doesn't seem to be much out there. Seymour Duncan makes Vintage, Hot, Quarter Pound, Antiquity 1 and Antiquity 2 models for that pattern, but I haven't found anyone else that makes aftermarket P5 pickups in that pattern. Seems that there are numerous replacement pickups in the pattern with equal length shells for both sides, but no love for the offset varieties.

Does anyone have any suggestions for manufacturers whom make the Fender offset pattern? I haven't decided on what kind of tone I'm leaning toward at this point, just looking around for manufacturers whom do or can make pickups in that particular pattern. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Basssy

Basssy Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Had the same issue myself awhile back with my Squier Jag 5. This pickup fits perfectly and sounds fantastic

NP5F - Nordstrand Pickups

Good luck!

Rickter likes this.
  3. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah I've basically found Nordstrand and Duncan Custom Shop. However I also realized that there's nothing wrong with stock and shouldn't replace things just to do so. I wanted a bit more bright so changed the tone pot to 500k and cap to .022. This seems to have done the trick for me.

4. Rickter

Rickter

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, I have no immediate need to do any replacements. Just seeking knowledge at this point. Thank you for the pot/cap swap values suggestion.

5. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I love the Nord NP5Fs in my Precision Five.

jallenbass likes this.
  6. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Howard Ulyate also makes one:

Rickter likes this.
  7. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I know Reed James Engineering has a rotten reputation these days, but I found this the other day, too:

RJ Neo Vintage Vibe 5 sting P bass fits fender

It's not much of a risk buying from eBay vs. buying custom, because you can always use eBay's customer service system if you never get your pickup.

Rickter likes this.
  8. liveburning274

liveburning274 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    My questions would be, why even risk the headache? He's had a really dismal reputation these last few years about fulfilling orders in a timely way or being honest in his communication. Even with Ebay and PayPal involved to protect you financially, you may just get your money back 2 months later and just be mad.

IMHO, there's great pickups out there for a low price like Atlas and the Ulyate up above just to name a couple.

9. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Well, why risk it? They're different pickups, that might be why one might. If it were just another pickup, that's one thing but it feels pretty different with the different magnets and voicing and all.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021