Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Precision V deluxe- Roscoe beck question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jul 31, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Is the Bridge pickup of the Fender American Precision bass deluxe V similar in some way to the bridge pickup of the Roscoe Beck signature?

[​IMG]
    this is called: Special Design Side By Side 5-String Bass Humbucker

[​IMG]
    this is called: 1 New Special Design Humbucker (Bridge)

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I read somewhere that they have the same magnet/coil structure. The spacing of the polepieces for the RBV is slightly wider, though.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    interesting. i guess if the new upgraded Precision Deluxe V now with 4+1 tuners configuration and 18v preamp (the same seen on FMT) stil has this kind of pickup...

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

holy crap!!! :eek:

i need to play one of those!!!

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's a nice hunk of wood.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wish I had some $$$! There is a natural one and a teal one on Ebay right now.:(

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I played an Am Dlx P 5 before they upgraded to 18 volts and, even then, it was the ultimate P-bass. Monster tone, with a respectable J sound if you wanted it. This bass will RULE!

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    and considering the major upgrafes for the 2002 model such as the new preamp at 18v, same as the one of FMT jazz basses, and the much desired 4+1 tuners; this bass has a lot to say. the british magazine Guitarist did a review of the 2002 Precision and Jazz deluxe MIA but the 4 strings versions only.

the American Precision Deluxe V 2002 will be my next bass for sure.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    infact the RB5 is an excellent bass and the 4 strings version was rumored about more than twice...

since the Precision Deluxe exists in 4 strings version too i assume that the RB4 could be out, if the pickups are the same...

10. This same question was asked over on the FDP right after the P-V came out. According to Fender, it only looks the same. Electrically, the P-V bridge pup is nothing like the RB-5 pups. The RB-5 pups actually have additional poles between the visible ones to balance out the sound.

If you go to Roscoe Becks web-site, there is a full explanation into the development of the RB-5. The pups are explained quite well.

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's right. In addition to magnets on each side of the string, the RB pickups also have additional magnets right below the string (but hidden from view). All of these are weaker than Fender's usual spec to minimize the "double-beating" effect that afflicts the usual two-poles-to-the-side arrangement.

12. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    When I got my RB5 a year and a half ago I quit jonesing completely for any other 5 string. Have done a couple of 4 string trades in that time but the RB5 is THE passive fiver. Classic Jazz tone and a bunch more.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The RB5 was my first fiver. I've since bought fancier fivers (including an MTD 535) but I play the RB5 as much or more than any of them. I dig that passive Fender vibe.