1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision V pickup - where?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bdplaid, Oct 27, 2013.

1. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Hi,
    I'm looking or a new Fender Precision Bass V pickup, but can't find one. Does Fender not sell these? Anyone have a source?

thanks

2. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    Hmmm... I'm not sure if fender sells them but I know Nordstrand makes one. Check bassspecialties.com, I'm pretty he sells them.

3. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    thanks for the idea - but it's a Nordstrand I'm replacing. I like the sound of the Fender P-V's I've played, so I wanted to try that pickup.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Wait... what kind of Precision 5 do you have?

The Fender Precision 5 pickup has asymmetrical coils: one is larger than the other. The Nordstrand Precision 5 pickups that I've seen are symmetrical, made for Nordstrand, Sadowsky, Lull, and other Precision-style fivers. Obviously, the Fender pickup is not a direct replacement for the others, and vice versa.

Fender
    20618fen.

Sadowsky (mine :))
    IMG_20101027_115815.

franklindayala and Rickter like this.
  5. Nangpu Sukte

Nangpu Sukte

Sep 19, 2017
  6. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    That may have been the case with Nordstrand at the time, but Nord has asymmetrical P Five pups now and more than one variety. I had a vintage-wind set in a P5 that were very nice.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

That's true. Aguilar also offers both symmetrical and asymmetrical.

Geri O likes this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    @bdplaid what kind of bass is it? If not a Fender, pics would be nice.

We can fix you up but we might need more info first.

9. Didn't know Aguilar did. I don't see it on their site. Are they for sale normally or do you have to ask them?

Never really paid attention to the different pickup shapes for the 5 String Precision that so many different companies make. Probably not easy to cut a pickguard or route the body to make something symmetrical fit.