1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fender Precision V to P/J V

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ShirazBop, May 3, 2018.

1. Be cheap...just add the Fender American Series J

14.3%
  2. Refresh up to Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Go top shelf with a matched set of Nordstrand's

57.1%
  4. Other

28.6%
  5. carrots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Picked up a beautiful 2015 Black and Maple Fender American Standard Precision V a while back here on Talkbass from a wonderful Brother here in North Carolina.

I already have another MIA Fender P5, a 2011 60th Anniversary (my 1st 5 stringer, also procured here in Talkbass) that I want to keep completely stock.

So for the lighter Black and Maple am looking to convert to a P/J with an added J pickup near the bridge (probably 70’s position). I’ll have it configured with a 3-way toggle switch for Neck, Both, Bridge and Volume / Tone on the knobs. The P-pickup in this instrument is a bit more punchy/pleasing to my ear, than my 2011 (same strings Sadowsky Blue Nickel rounds). Not sure what the body wood is on these but I would think probably both basses are the same.

My late 70’s de-fretted P/J and my more contemporary Franken P/J are similarly configured with the 3-way toggle and I really like that about the best.

I’m pretty much a finger style player that plays near the bridge and playing Contemporary Christian exclusively at church but looking for some outside playing opportunities that will be small ensemble ‘70’s-2000’s (Tom Petty, Eagles, Van Morrison,U2, Marshall Tucker, Allman Brothers, some country,..etc.).

Have Bill Lawrence’s in my fretted P/J that I really like the sound of. Kind-of Modern sounding verses standard Fender Precision pickups but not overly sterile sounding. I’ve had Quarter Pounders in various basses (P and P/J configurations) and liked those a lot but the Bill Lawrence’s have the clear edge.

So, my question to the Talkbass Brain trust is, for this particular upgrade:

1. Just add an American Series Jazz V Bridge pickup:

Bass Jazz V Pickups

Or

2. Go for Seymour Duncan P/J 5 string set up

Hot P-Bass

Quarter Pound Jazz Bass

3. Or go all out:

NPJ5FS Hum-Cancelling Fender Set

I have not played the Nordstrand’s before, but have have read rave reviews on them here on the boards.

4. Something else????

5. Carrots

Thank you for your indulgence.

Aaron Houts and Zoobiedood like this.
  2. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    I say just use the Fender pickup. I'm sure the Nordstrands would be great but the difference isn't worth the $$$ to me.

The quarter pounders I'm just not a fan of. Too clanky for me.

ShirazBop likes this.
  3. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Here's a pair of 2011 Am P 5s done up the way you're talking about. The Candy Cola one has a Nordstrand P pup and a Nordstrand big split and is as aggressive as you can imagine. The SB has a Duncan QP P pup and a Nordstrand humbucker J and is well rounded and good for everything. Not a fan of the Fender pup, to much low boom for me. The QP has more mids and is more P like.

IMG_1507.JPG

Aaron Houts, Zoobiedood and ShirazBop like this.
  4. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Is the Big Split passive? Thanks for the pics/and inputs

5. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    QP's do have some clank going on. I've heard the Fenders on a stock MIA J V that I had and they were pretty pleasing with the tone full up. Thanks for your input/comments!

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Curveball time.

Seymour Duncan NYC 5!

Two switches. One for neck/both/bridge and one for series/single/parallel for the dual coil bridge pickup.

If you ever come to eastern NC hit me up. I'll let you check mine out. Best passive bass I have ever played. Ridiculously versatile. I'm playing it in church in the morning.
    20171202_084310.jpg 20171202_084448.jpg

Aaron Houts, Zoobiedood and ShirazBop like this.
  7. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Dang, That is one fantastic setup... Beautiful Bass too!

I will!

God Bless,
    Rob

two fingers likes this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks! It's a combo of all my favorite basses I've owned. I kept the stuff I liked and phased out the stuff I didn't.

9. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Jan 10, 2014
    Flo Rida
    Nice!
    I have a 2017 American Professional and am thinking of doing the exact same thing. Those are the two pickups I'm considering but am leaning more towards the Big Split.
    Are those controls Volume/Blend/Tone?

10. Alivefor5

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Volume, Volume, Tone.

Aaron Houts likes this.
  11. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Jan 10, 2014
    Flo Rida
    Thanks. Between the humbucker J and the Big Split, which one has more output?
    I want to keep my AmPro stock V-Mod pickup which has a low output and I don’t want it to get drowned out.
    Also which one do you think is more trebly/clear?
    OP @ShirazBop did you end up doing this conversion?
    I was thinking of doing exactly this:
    SOLD - 2014 Fender American Std Precision V, bridge Nordstrand pu
    @smeet I hope it’s okay that I linked your ad.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  12. Alivefor5

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Big split much more output.
    I would recommend the Hum J. Not brash and not polite. Just right and useful in more situations than the big split.

Aaron Houts likes this.
  13. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Jan 10, 2014
    Flo Rida
    @Alivefor5
    That's really helpful. Thank you so much.
    That sounds perfect. I don't need a stand alone pickup to replace the P, just something to add clarity when I want it and to completely disappear when I only want the P sound. The Hum J sounds like the way to go. Thanks again!

14. Alivefor5

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    No prob. Let us know how it turns out.

Aaron Houts likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021