Fender Precision vs Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wannabe_bassist, May 7, 2002.

1. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Still being new to all this.....what is the difference between these types of basses?

I know about P and J and P/J pickups but what is the difference in their sound and application.

As a beginning bassist, should I get a Precision or a Jazz and why?

2. the j-bass has a thinner neck
    the j-bass has an off set body

there more...
  3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'm no expert. That being said, this is what I know. The P neck is wider than the J. They say the J body is a little heavier, the P smaller. The bodies are cut differently, just look at them. Most importantly, try one of each. Go to GC or somewhere close by, tell the salesman either "just looking" or what your doing. By the end of your trip, YOU decide what you like. Not my opinion, the salesman's, or anyone here at TB. You be the judge.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They will both work very well in almost any type of music.

The P is full and bassy sounding. The Jazz is a little thinner(for the most part), growlier and has a lot of mids. The Jazz is also a little more versatile, with two pickups you can solo or blend.

Do a search, there have probably been 100 threads on Jazz vs. P bass.
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    if you play kicking rock'n roll buy a precision. otherwise a jazz.
  6. Check out the Laklands before you buy. If you can't afford the US models the Skylines are their new production (Fender equivilent only better) models and are truly superb. I just played them at the Lakland Shop and if I had not already ordered the US I would have picked up a Skyline. Still might now that I have a US Jazz, I need a P bass.
  7. I would say the P-Bass has a classic rock and roll sound to it.:D ;) :D
  8. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    What is meant by offset body?

And how about the P/J models? Should you get one or the other or the combo? I know that it depends on a lot of things but looking to hear everyones opinions.

9. Go to www.fender.com and listen to the sound clips for their different basses.
  10. Carrillo

Mar 29, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Its all preference, I decided to play both and I just ended up with a Jazz, I just liked it more.

As you already know how they are different from the other posts, I suggest you try both and decide which you like better. :)

Or u could just play an Ernie Ball Stingray, and never have to play another bass in yer life :)
  11. Ditto. Well said.
  12. I own both, and I think if I had one without the other I would always think I was missing something. With that said, I really like the P-bass better for some reason. A little meatier, and feels better to me. I also like the simplicity of the P-Bass(It is kinda like the delima of playing a Strat or a Tele for Guitar players)
  13. [​IMG] [​IMG]

oops, the correct term is an "off-set waist body" same idea i guess..

try them both out, even if your not going to play them, just hold them to see which body you like better..

i believe the jazz and also heavier...
  14. embellisher

Yep. Between a Jazz and a P bass made from the same materials, a Jazz will weigh more.
  15. You can make a Jazz sound like a P, but not vice versa. Thats one of the reasons I like my Jazz.
  16. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Rosewood seems to be more common but lots of famous players seem to use maple?

Why would one choose maple?
    Why would one choose rosewood?

Curious...........still learning!

17. embellisher

Rosewood sounds a little darker, or warmer. Maple has more snap, or high end.
  18. Rosewood = Warmer tone
    Maple = Punchier Tone

I remeber someone on this forum saying something along the lines of fretboard tone only really matters if you have a fretless.

I prefer the look of maple though.
  19. embellisher

Some people do say that, but I disagree. YMMV, offer not valid in Arizona, you'll be billed later.
  20. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I'm considering switching from a MIJ Jazz to an MIA P. Love the fat tone.

The current opinion seems that if you play rock get a P-bass. I've heard some jazz recordings like John Scofield's Uberjam and Medeski Martin and Woods latest CD. Both bass players used vintage P's through out.

My question is anyone else around here use the P for something other than rock?