Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Precision w/ maple body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SubEndSorcerer, Dec 6, 2004.

1. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    I'm ordering a new painted body from Warmoth for my maple necked '87 American Precision. The body is alder right now but it's really beat up, but surprisingly the neck is in great shape. I'm wondering how a hard maple body would sound with the p-bass pickup configuration. I'm thinking it might sound similar to a Rickenbacker. Also I was listening to the Fly By Night album by Rush this weekend and while everyone says Geddy played a Rickenbacker for the recording of that album, it sounds like a P-bass to me. I dunno though.

2. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Geddy Lee did play a Rick 4001 on all of that album (except for the growly effects on By-tor. That was done with the P-bass run through a fuzz.)

Though that was the pre-Badass unmodded Rick, if I'm right.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    It'll probably weigh like 15 lbs if you get a regular P shaped body :eek:

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'd be interested to hear how that sounds. The combination of the bright-toned maple with the (typically) dark-toned P pickup might make for a nice combo. Let us know if you do it.

5. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I think so too, but then again, personally, I do like a bright tone anyway.

6. Don't do it....too heavy...but instead do a laminated body...alder with about 1/2" of Maple on top. IMO that would be a good balance between weight and zing.

I have an all maple neck-through Wishbass (heavy as a truck) but really really nice tonally. The pickup is a Kent Armstrong soapbar, however.

My self-constructed P-bass copy has an EMG active P-pup and an Alder body (maple neck w/ rosewood fingerboard). Even strung with flats, this bass is as bright as I ever want a P-bass to be. But that's why I have it (for vintage tones).

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    "Pretty beat up" bodies give a good ole' Fender P ton's of character...in my opinion.

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Is that a bad thing? :eyebrow:

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I built a P bass with a Mighty Mite maple body, and it sounds like a P bass. You would never know the body is maple from the sound.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Depends on how good your chiropractor is!