1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gigger, Feb 18, 2008.

1. gigger

gigger

Feb 18, 2008
    Fellow bassers,

I am looking for a vintage fender precision (60s). For something that plays well and disregarding how it looks (of course it needs to look like a bass still), what am I looking at COST-wise?

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    If you buy it on eBay, several thousand dollars. If you get insanely lucky and find someone who is selling one locally and doesn't know what eBay is, maybe less than $1,000. Maybe.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Define "60s". You want a preCBS or CBS?

4k to 10k dollars (yes that's thousands).
    You can still find some for under 4, but no original finishes and/or changed parts.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I think that it is fair to ask you, why?

Are you looking for a bass to play or are you a collector? Is this an investment? Why does it have to be from the 60's? Have you bought into the hype that "nothing sounds like a 60's P bass"?

If you're looking for a great playing and sounding P bass, you can get one cheaper than what you'd pay for a 60's vintage.

If you are looking for a good investment, there are much better investments than old basses.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

IMHO, while old basses are poor investment vehicles, and some may be great players, they are usually not worth the price--unless you have a lot of funds to spend on recapturing your misspent youth. :D

For what it's worth, IMO the New American Standard P's give split-coil P-basses of any vintage a run for their money in terms of tone and playability. Yes, OK, OK, one may find a great Pre-CBS P that is better, but the differences in tone and feel are not huge, and the difference price IS huge. The player matters way way more.

Yes, I do admit there is nothing quite like a nice light Pre-CBS P with a good C neck with a slab rosewood fingerboard with well-dressed frets, but good luck finding one for under 7K.

A custom shop P for ~4k would be my advice. You could even get a C neck and a slab board. Spend the money you save to buy spare time to practice the bass, study music, and woodshed with your band. ;)

6. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    +1 to the above comments.

I have a 1960 P bass that has all of the mythical "mojo" associated with those. I've never owned another bass that captured the vintage P sound like this one does. I paid $65.00 used in 1971 and recently had it appraised at $10,000, so it was definately a good investment.

Having said that, I would never pay what these go for today. A newer American Fender will play and sound just as good (or better) for a fraction of the cost.