fender precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Dec 14, 2000.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    it' always the same old story. i start with complicated things and then i desire simplicity. at the moment my dream bass is a fender precision, but i need your suggestions once more time again. i'd like a pre cbs precision, but obviously i absolutely can't afford it. so i started thinking about the right p bass for me. i need a bass more similar as possible to the old precision, i'm not interested in value for resale and i've seen the now discontinued japanese reissue. what can you tell me about those reissues basses? and what p-bass is for you the best in quality/price? i accept even non fender p-basses.
    thanks again
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Try loads of basses and get the one that 'speaks to you'. Mass produced instruments differ greatly.

The Japan series were ok but I would look for the following secondhand Precisions.

THe Mex classic series.

The original Squier series with FENDER in large script these were/are awesome.

THe CBS USA basses from about 78-82 these were not brilliant but I have tried some recently and they have improved with age. (I know CBS took over in 65 but people load the prices).

THe USA vintage series.

A custom shop one :)

Choose your budget and look around. All the above is personal opinion and will probably be proved wrong by at least 2 posters. :)
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Try and find a MIA 1962 P Bass reissue and check it out. I picked up an American made '75 Jazz Bass reissue, and it is a great bass. There are many on the fender Forum (a good place to ask Fender questions, btw) who feel the American Vintage series are the best made Fenders these days--not counting the Custom Shop. I got my JAzz for $1025, and I am pretty sure the list on the P Basses is a couple of hundred dollars less.

As far as non-fender's go, Mike Lull is about to release a P-Bass copy for around $2000 which should be nice. And, there is also the Bob Gould model Lakland, which is beautiful.
  4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I recently got a mid 80's MIJ Precision...and it definitely rivals the USA basses. The MIJ's are probably the best deal going right now on a P bass.
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    If vintage, but affordable, Fender Precision is what you want I would do one of two things.
    (1) I have a '75 P and despite the fact that '70's P's get a lot of criticism I love this bass.In fact it has become my "Number 1" gig and practice bass. My beloved '97 Fender Jazz (with Bartolini's) seems to get less and less use all the time.The P is a big heavy thing with a fat neck but I have really developed an affinity for playing it.You can buy a '70's P pretty inexpensively.
    (2) I think the '57 and '62 Re-issues are terrific basses. If you can get a used one they won't break the bank.They are pretty faithful to the originals- including the fact that you have to take off the neck for a truss rod adjustment.
    Good luck
  6. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I have seventies P and a 99 Hot Rodded P, both sound and play fine. In Michigan I think you can pick one up for six or seven hundred dollars, fretless and fretted in that order.

Nothing against all the fine basses in the rainbow, but I really like the P as the standard bass. If you can't make a groove on one of these, perhaps you should take up another instrument.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I almost forgot. http://www.musiciansfriend.com was running a closeout on the HotRod PBass for $600. I have seen these in the stores for $900, so that is a great deal. If they still have them in stock, you might want to consider those, too.
  8. You mentioned that you might consider a non "Fender" P bass. In that case I strongly recommend you look at the G&L SB-1 or SB-2 (the SB-2 has 2 pickups, but you can turn off the bridge pickup for pure Precision tone). Since these basses are made in Leo Fender's relatively small shop, and the bass was redesigned by Leo himself, the G&L's are certainly more similar in the way they are made than any Fender brand basses have been made for quite some time. The G&L's are essentially hand made and are actually the same or less money than the current US Fenders. They have beautiful woods, finishes and workmanship. The redesigned neck is better and the bridge is a huge improvement over the old Fender bridges.

Regarding the tone, I think the Leo's redesigned P pickup is a definite improvement. The output is substantially higher yet maintains that classic Precision tone. It just seem bigger.
  9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Like Deynn, I have a mid-80's MIJ Precision. I love it. I paid $400 with a hard-shell case, and while it's not mint, it's pretty nice. The MIJ pickups don't have a very good reputation; I replaced mine with a Seymour Duncan and it sounds great.
  10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Max....I agree that the pickup is not the best on the MIJ's. I think I'll give the Seymour Duncan a chance.
    I was never a big Precision fan...but this bass is winning me over...:)
  11. Brooklyn_Stroonze

Nov 29, 2000
    If want something w/ that P-Bass sound, then why not get a P-bass?

You can pick up a close out American Standard @ a fantastic price. Check the guitar center or Musicians Friend.

I picked up one a few months ago and absolutly love it! If you are looking for that classic sound the American Standard is the way to go.

Ain't nothin' like the real thing baby.
  12. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I bought a 97 American Deluxe P on ebay about three months ago, and it's a great bass. The used ones typically go in the $600-750 range if they're clean, and that's a bargain. I paid $610 for mine, and I'd do it again tomorrow. The new ones are over a grand, but there are always a few nice looking used ones on ebay. Check em out.
  13. The MIA Ps of the past few years don't sound terribly vintage, primarily because of the graphite or Carbon fibre (which?) neck reinforcement, which adds a certain modernness to the tone. The 62 RI sounds as near to the real thing as dammit, so if that's what you want, go for it.
    I LOVE the modernised P bass, and have a '96 model myself.

I feel that the P bass SHOULD be a passive instrument.This is an unreasoned prejudice on my part, so Deluxe lovers, please forgive me.
  14. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I think that the "honeymoon" is over with me and my P bass. We just don't seem to communicate with each other. I am afraid that a divorce is imminent....;)
  15. I picked up a MIA p from musicians friend a couple of months ago. As soon as I got the catalog that said $600 for it I ordered one the next day. Maple fret board and 3 color sunburst. This is my dream bass, and I wouldn't trade it for any other bass in the same price range.
  16. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'm thinking that the G&L solution could be really interesting. i've seen them on sale for 600$ new. now i have to choose between the SB1, the SB2 or the LB100 model. it seems that the LB is built to be really near the old fender precision with a more vintage sound. the SB1 is a modernised version with more powerful pick ups and the SB2 seems to be the most versatile with a configuration of pick ups P-J. are there owners of these basses? and what is your opinion about G&L? Is is true that the quality of this company is going down or are these only rumors?
  17. I think you're making a wise decision. :)

If you are considering an SB-1, I would probably recommend that you consider the SB-2. You can always turn the bridge pickup off and be able to get the SB-1 tone exactly. I do really like the added versatility of the 2 pickups and in my opinion, the SB-2 with both pickups on sounds much closer to a Jazz bass than any other P/J type bass I've heard. It really does have that extra treble "sheen" on the top of the sound just like a Jazz. With the P pickup soloed, it's a very solid traditional P bass tone.

I've never really played an LB-100 so I don't have much to say about them. It's true that the pickups are much more similar to the old split coil P bass pickups. Having said that, I really love the sound of my SB-2 P pickup and don't feel like it is lacking anything from the tone from a traditional P bass. In fact, it just sounds like "more" of a P bass, if that's possible.

I've owned several vintage Fender Precisions over the years and I strongly feel that my SB-2 is a superior instrument to all of them.

Regarding quality decline at G&L, I haven't seen it. I've seen the opposite in fact. Every time I see a new batch of G&L's at a shop, I'm always seeing slight improvements. It's actually nice to see that while still working with Leo Fender's original G&L designs, there continue to be slight improvements made to the instruments even after his death. Take the L-2500 5 string for example - this bass was designed after his death by adapting Leo's L-2000 design to a 5 string bass. Furthermore, many changes have been made to the 5 string over the years to improve it.

I hope you find a nice bass for yourself. :)
  18. I got an '87 MIJ Precision in 1990 as my first 'proper' bass and like the original poster I had lusted for one for ages. It was in mint condition (not anymore!). I agree about the pickups - I chose EMGs which although active have mellowed with age and it still sounds excellent.