Fender Precisions Set Neck Burled Eml/Zebrano

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by x4x, Aug 15, 2004.

1. x4x

May 10, 2003
    I ran into these two guitars on an online store:

Fender Set Neck Precision Bass Special Burled Elm RW

Fender Set Neck Precision Bass Special Zebrano RW

obviosly P's with special wood being Burled Elm and Zebrano

Both going at 595eur

But there isn't any additional info.

Going at that price i can asume they are Mexican or Japan Fenders?
    Has anyone ever seen these basses? any comments, pro/cons?

Any picture would be more than welcome cus a google search didn't bring out anything

Thank you
  2. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    never heard of fender set neck construction... are you sure is not a fake?
  3. x4x

May 10, 2003
    Fender makes set neck guitars so i guess that that part isn't fake

i also found the bass to be for sale at other places but all lack any info or visuals
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    all these years and I had NO idea Fender did a set neck.
    I am now smarter than I was 10 minutes ago. Thank you.

Google search is pretty thin on the subject but...it looks like they come out of the custom shop so....your price is a absolute steal.
  5. "P Bass Special" tells me MIJ, early 80s. They made walnut p-basses and stuff. Are there pictures we can see?
  6. x4x

May 10, 2003
    no thats the thing, i can't find any, i'll go and mail the store for some info
  7. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The Walnut P specials (and the rest of the specials of that era) and the Elites that followed, came from the custom shop. Somewhere along the line the name and design got aborted and moved off shore.

I can't find a pic either but I'm curious as hell now...I gotta see one of those things.

This is a job for Bill Bolton.....
  8. Ahh yeah, I've seen quite a few MIA's in Walnut. Anyways, pics would definitely help if it's possible to get them.
  9. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm not sure of the rules concerning linking to other boards so I'll just cut and paste Bill Bolton's response to my inquiry.

He's as reliable an authority on the subject of Fenders as I've ever encountered.

"As far as I'm aware Fender has never made any set neck solid body basses, even as show specials."

10. x4x

May 10, 2003
  11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hmmm...I went by the Fender room at NAMM, and I certainly don't remember anything set neck being displayed. :eyebrow:

I also don't remember ever seeing any set necked Fender guitars....