1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Prices and Selling my Geddy Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Is it just me or are Fender prices going up? The Geddy Lee Jazz bass I bought two years ago for $699 is now $1,219 on MusiciansFriend.com! Are they serious?!?

That said, what do you think is a reasonable asking price for selling mine. It is in PRISTINE condition (not a nick on it!) with a gig bag.

2. No it's not you. There are a couple of threads about Fender's price hike.

I can't comment about your Geddy, but to put things in perspective, 2008 MIA Fenders show up in the classifieds around $700-$900 depending on condition, configuration, etc...

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's not really appropriate here to ask for advice on prices. The best thing to do is to look at the For Sale Section and Ebay for guidance, but my unofficial advice is don't get to greedy when it comes to selling used gear because no matter how nice it is, it no longer has a warranty behind it.

4. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    I got rid of mine last year for 600. But it had some scratches.(very small). It was an 06. Was in excellent cond. I dont know you might get 600 for it.Probably less. Just a guess

5. fender's price increases have yet to reflect in the used market. At that, it is poor taste to ask for a dollar amount on your bass and not be a supporting member.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

New prices are irrelevant in this case. It is still a $500-700 bass used even if perfectly mint. Plus the market is flodded with GLs these days.

Play it and have fun.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I think it's worth about... $50. I'll be happy to give you $50 for that bass...

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I don't know that I agree - - I bought a '98 J deluxe on Ebay about 6 months ago for ~$650 - - - and I just sold it on Ebay with bidding ending at $970 (yes, I was shocked).

9. Wow, just wow. I didn't think that you could really see that price on something 10 years old. So they have hit the bay, but not our classifieds. Nice.

10. lowballer...:scowl:

I'll give you a very fair $75

11. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Why on earth would you want to sell it? If it's in 10.0 condition, tune it down a step or so, put it in a case, shove it under your bed and wait 20 years until it's a collector's item. Theater of the absurd-the prices, not you

12. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Wow - just asked a question here, guys! The first two postings I had were very cordially responded to. This was has hit me with a hail storm of attacks. It was a simple question. I have an American Standard Jazz and a MIM p-bass and was considering moving my Ged for a better P-bass. Good thing I didn't bring up politics or religion! ;)

13. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    NightCityBurn - I was considering "supporting" - as I am a new member here, relatively - but if there are a lot more people like you on this board, I'm not going to do it. Lose the 'tude, dude. Just a simple question...

14. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    Isn't there something on the bay where you can check the average price for the last 50 products sold? Take a look for a Geddy jazz and base it on that

15. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Yes, you are new here. NightCityBurn was trying to provide you with helpful advice. Please read:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510692

16. That wasn't attitude, but sound advice. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but threads like this get deleted every day because of the very reason I stated.

I am helping you out, just like every one else did, and gave you my honest opinion...i.e. I have yet to see the price hikes reflect in the used market. So what they have been selling for in the classifieds still holds pretty true.

Again, it wasn't me being a jerk, or playing Mod, just saying what many others will say.

17. Thank you. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but give him good advice before the real jerks come in and flame on him hardcore.

18. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    A simple question that isn't allowed unless you're a supporting member. Read the rules.

19. I don't know if he was trying to be short, but there is a post from the moderators explicitly forbidding this practice for non supporting members. Don't know why, but its their forum so we gotta live with it. Either way, I think he was just trying to avoid your thread being closed or deleted and you getting in dutch with the mods.

20. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    OK, then. You all seem like good peeps. Thanks. NightCityBurn - my apologies. Seriously. Thanks.