Fender Princeton Chorus - need info

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by klharper, Feb 15, 2006.

1. klharper

klharper Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    EEK! I know... it's about guitar. If this needs to be moved to miscellaneous, mods please move it and sorry about the g****r usage on the bass forum. :eek:

Anyways, I figured you guys here are generally more knowledgeable and could probably get more constructive advice.

I've got a friend's Princeton chorus over at my place for a bit. I have the serial number but havent found any good resources to find the year and all. But it IS the red knob version, which IIRC is from sometime in the 80s, correct?

Anyways - Currently, it seems like the right speaker is putting out very little/no output and just buzz when I play (most noticable on lower frequencies, espeically low E string, but barely noticable on the thinner high b and e strings). The buzz seems to not change volume much with change in volume on the amp, meaning if its louder buzz is a little less noticable (but still very annoying, and not worth playing through currently, especially if I'm getting less output than possible). I'm going to open her up this weekend when I get time and hopefully all it needs is some soldering.

However, if the speaker is blown, I'm gonna need the info for my model (wattage, impedance, etc.) for a replacement speaker. I'm probalby looking at getting a Celestion or Eminence.

so to wrap up
    1) I need to find a resource that will give me some accurate specs. (even if it's not blown, I'd still like to know).
    2) I'd like to find a resource to know the year and all from the serial number (I couldn't find this on most usual places that have this dating, nor google).
    3) Any reccomendations for speakers? I'd like a warmer smooth one probably, that can become more defined and crisp with some EQ. I probably wont be running much distorition if at all, but I do have one part in one song that I need some good distortion (not metal or really crunchy, more full, kind of smooth but intense distortion. if that makes sense hahah).

Thanks for anything! ;)
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Hmmm..... this might be a good question for the guys at the Fender forum.....