Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Pro 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AceGuru, Feb 19, 2004.

1. AceGuru

AceGuru

Feb 19, 2004
    Does anyone own a Fender Pro 800? I was thinking about buying one and did not find any reviews here or at HarmonyCentral. Just wondering if it's reliable (doesn't break down a lot/defective) and if the tone is good. Thanx.

2. i don't know anything about the reliability of the Pro800, but i do know i've really enjoyed the Pro400 combos i've played thru. very thick, articulate tones.

robb.

3. If it is like the 400 combo then I'd go for it. My friend has the fender 400 2x10 combo and I love playing through it. I really dislike the tone of my bass even through my ampeg b2r head, but playing it in his combo always makes playing a joy. It was had a warm thicker sound, that could growl.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, I hear it's got a GREAT sounding Poweramp!!

What's the deal with Reggie Hamilton raving about the Bassmans' great sounding poweramp? Usually the preamp is what's raved about...?

5. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I always thought the Hamilton ads sounded weird.

"My bass still sounds like my bass! That's good, right?"

:rolleyes:

6. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I've owned one of these for half a year or so now, and really love it. I have had ZERO problems. It is powering an SWR Goliath Senior and a Big Ben, and for practice or gigs, the thing never needs to go past 3.5 on the volume. It cranks out some amazing tones, and the semi-parametric, footswitchable EQ really helps if you need a bit of a sound change during a song or a solo boost. The compression that's built in is quite good. I don't find it ever really squashes the sound, and it definitely does not add any weird artifacts or anything to the sound. It's seamless, sounds like it's not there 'till you turn the compression off.

If you want a bit of dirt or anything in your sound, it will not do that. As with any decent piece of solid state gear, it's very clean sounding. A decent distortion/overdrive pedal could handle those duties very well though, and you can be sure that the distorted tone will be properly produced as well.

Overall a VERY nice head, underrated I think by Fender's name. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions on it.