Fender Pro 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Sep 15, 2003.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I know these are new, but does anyone know much about them/played through one? Are they still tube preamp 2 channel, etc? Are the channels footswitchable? Lastly, how does it differ from the previous fender and sunn 1200 head?
  2. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Hey, I just bought an 800 PRO a few weeks ago. So far, I've been very impressed. It's a powerful, clean amp at a rather nice price. It's pretty logically versatile, since it runs happily down to 2 ohms (1200 watts). The semi-parametric EQ is quite nice, though I still like graphic EQ's. One thing of note is the compressor. I've found that it's very transparent. Even if you crank it all the way, it still doesn't give the impression of a "squashed" sound. Just reduces dynamics (and volume to an extent). The footswitchable EQ with EQ Gain is nice for when you want a bit of boost or a change in the shape of your sound. Enhance is better on this than it was on previous Bassman amps. It boosts the low bass and mid-high treble, but still retains a nice mid contour. Overtones are rich and the general sound is warm.

One thing I'd ask for is a power amp limiter, 'cuz watching the power amp clip light come on when you're running 800 watts can make one a bit uncomfortable. Proper use of the compressor and good playing technique should avoid this issue though, and it is ridiculously loud when playing near maximum volumes, so I can't see myself running it into clipping, ever.

I hope this is useful info for you. If you have any other questions about it I'll try to answer them.
  3. what cabinets are you using with the amp
  4. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I'm running the head into an SWR Goliath Senior.