Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender PRO bass amp ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Sep 26, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I know I made a thread about the 810, once again, I'm just curious.

1. Has any one had any expeirience with their cabs?

2. I went to elderly instruments and saw a pic of the 410 PRO SL. This one didn't look like the newer version, it had the fender name on the corner and it said it was made in Mexico in the back panel. YET, I saw a review of the new version of the 400 PRO 210 combo review and it said it was US made, and YET I saw a PDF thing on the 410 PRO SL and it showed a picture of the cabs back panel (looked just like the older version's panel from Elderly instruments) and it was MIM. So what gives are those new Fender PRO cabs MIM or MIA?????

3. What does 300 watts continueoes and 600 watts program mean?

4. Loaded with Eminence speakers(cast-frame) does that mean it's REALLY good.

5. Does it compare/equal Avatar speakers?

2. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    aw common guys...I know someone here has to know something

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    3. 300 watts continuous (RMS, continuous) is what it's rated at. 600 watts program (peak, max) means nothing in the gear world unless you're into car audio.

4. Eminence makes fine woofers. Cast frames are very sturdy, the energy goes into pushing the woofer instead of the whole frame flexing (stamped frames). At least thats what the marketing guys say :D.

4. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Thats cool anyone else?

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I had a Bassman 400...the thing had a knack for blowing speakers at constant gigging volume. The 400 Pro has had the same problem (according to a some feedback on the FDP). It also rattled-the bracing in the cabinet was junk.

The amp is made in Mexico. Resale is poor.

I dumped mine for a loss. I will say that when it worked, the tone was killer. Just not an amp for gigging-it breaks down too often.

Lync

6. :rolleyes: :scowl: :rollno: :meh:

actually...

the RMS rating is a general measure of the speaker's ability to dissipate heat. all speakers convert electrical engery (current) into mechanical energy (movement), and all generate heat when every drop of electrical energy does not get converted into mechanical energy. a 300W RMS rating means it can handle a signal of 49 Volts RMS for an unspecified amount of time without breaking down due to thermal stress.

the program rating is a general measure of what size amplifier you can safely use on the speaker cabinet without too much risk. a 600W program rating means that you can use an amplifier capable of generating 600W into 8 Ohms to power the speaker cabinet

why RMS and program? because most musical signals are far from a continuous, or RMS, signal. most musical signals are actually comprised of short peaks with more lower-level signals in between. even when you fingerpick a note, the attack is a lot louder than the sustain. so unless you're overdriving the amp greatly, or are otherwise compressing the signal so that it more closely resembles a sine wave, the program rating is the more useful rating when matching speakers with amps.

i've played the 400Pro combo before. it wasn't at gig volume, so i can't comment on its propensity for destroying speakers, but i really enjoyed the tone on both occasions. once was with an aerodyne jazz bass and another was with a '54RI blue flower bass.

robb.

7. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I just called fender up like a half an hour ago and asked the guy some questions. It turns out these cabinets are made from Marine birch plywood and all the parts(I think) are US and hand made in mexico. And then a final check and test in the US.When he told me that I automatticly went "Up, Mexican made, it's crap..." . Then again, I mean, whats wrong with us? Why is there this ...unwritten rule that something out of our own country is infeirior.

I mean I went to a store once and played a fender american Jazz, then I played a Ibanez SRX bass and I was impressed by how comfortable the neck is and how punchy and aggressive the sound was. I mean if a mexican, a chinese and a white man were set in a room and were to screw a speaker into a empty 115 cab, why is it it the 115 speaker would be any different as long as the three men knew what they were doing? I might just check that 410 SL out.

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i think the fact that fender puts a healthy markup on their "american" series contributes to it, eventhough i've found that a good mexi is definitely better than a bad american fender bass

9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I agree, but in the case of this cab, they should have learned how to brace it! It rattles! (Bassman 400 combo).

Lync

10. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I'm sorry for your bad expeirience. To be honest, I played the old 400 210 combo.Twice, I wasn't impressed. All out of the US made products get an inspection and plus Fender puts the finishing touches and quality/sound tests the new PRO series so mabye it's different now.

11. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Yeah, well with the bad comes the good. I really did like the tone of the Bassman 400 combined with a Bassman 1X15 extension cab. Fat, warm, articulate-it had some growl to it also. Durability was its weak point.

Now I have a Thunderfunk and an Ampeg 610HLF and am loving it!

Lync

12. Vicar Philip

Vicar Philip

Sep 15, 2004
    Illinois
    I've played the Fender Pro 400 with a 1X15 cab now for several gigs and am really impressed with it. It's louder than hell and has a great tone.

I'm hoping I don't have the reliabilty problems others have had. What has gone wrong, the amp blows up or it blows speakers? I've read of both, just wondering what has crapped out for those who wrote in this thread.

13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    For me it was 2 issues:

The 10" speakers kept blowing. Now, I feel that it comes with the territory when you push the two 10's to their limit. But, when I replaced them with the speakers Fender recommended (factory spec), they blew eventually blew again. They would always rip apart either on the edges or the dust cap would come unglued.

The thing that made me sell it though was the cabinet design. It rattled when I played a B on the E string. I thought it was the tweeter, but it was something inside the cab. I took the speakers out and couldn't find a way to tighten any of the internal bracing.

So, because of the rattling and speaker destruction, I eventually traded it in. I still have the 15 extension speaker cab though (it is light and sounds very fat).

14. SAMEEE

SAMEEE

Jun 12, 2011
    Cambridge Ontario
    my 2x10 fender pro heats up like no tommorow with the 15" pro extension cab .................and even worse when I use the 4x10 pro slant with it ??

15. david barnes

david barnes Commercial User

Sep 30, 2015
    i have the 810 pro , I had a 410 ampeg bse .I traded the ampeg for the fender.i have used it for one practice now and
    the lows are compairable to the ampeg but the mids and highs are my opinion are way better. I run it out of ampeg svt7 pro. so far its not bad.