Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Problems anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bannedwit, May 10, 2005.

1. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Hey I was just wondering if what happened to me has happened to anyone else.
    I just bought a brand new Fender Precision bass 4 String from MusiciansFriend.com.
    I got it and it didn't work when I plugged it into my amp. I tried all different cables and amps. Sure enough, I had a bad pickup (my pops is an electrician and guitar repair guru) So this brand new bass was shipped with a faulty pickup.

Is this a Fender problem or a MusiciansFriend problem?

I need to send the stock pickup back to the company. MusiciansFriend said i could send the bass back and they would send out a new one once they received it. Screw that.
    So i threw some Quarter Pounders on there and now it works flawlessly.

Write back with what I can do or recommend. thanks.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    The faulty pickup problem was down to Musiciansfriend (or Musiciansend as some people like to call them) to make right. The disadvantage of buying online is that you can't try the merch before you buy. The store offered to send you a new bass, which is the extent to which they are obliged to help. You decided not to go this route but instead replaced the pickups, which in turn voids the Fender warranty. Bottom line is that you now have two spare pickups. One that works and one that doesn't.

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    The problem lies with the dealer first, then the manufacturer

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    well. musicians friend should make good on it. my friend had a bad pickup in his p-bass, guitar center replaced it for him.

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

Guitar Center is a walk in store and Musiciansend in online.
    Even though they are the same owner the policy might be different. It would be nice is they actually tested the stuff they sold before it went out.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Eh, would you trust them with that?

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Not entirely. Of course, Fender doesn't warranty the new pups, that's SD now. And if a part directly related to the changed pups (such as a volume pot) goes out, you may have an argument on your hands over what caused the failure.

But they still have to honor the warranty on the rest of the bass, unless they can prove the modification caused the other problem. If you discover your neck is twisted, for example, it's covered.

It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312. Same legislation that keeps the warranty on your car in force even if you change the stereo, for example. Applies to basses as well. :)

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Musician's Friend is horrible to order instruments from. I don't trust them at all. Samedaymusic has much better customer service and shipping.

9. HAWKINS

HAWKINS

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    i've had good experience with sweetwater.com

10. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

11. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Notice the part "re the bass electronic components".

I hear 'ya, but it doesn't matter what the warranty says. If he returns the bass to repair flaking paint on the upper horn, for example, and they refuse service based on the pickup swap, they're in violation of US law.

The Magnuson-Moss Act guarantees consumers certain rights in the US - and they can't be voided simply because a manufacturer writes something more restrictive on paper or on a Web site. Since Fender offers warranty, that warranty (on the rest of the bass) isn't voided because of a pickup swap. Electronics, maybe, if it's claimable that the pickup swap caused the electronic problem (such as overheating with the soldering iron). Paint, neck, headstock.... no.

The car manufacturers tried this (denying warranty claims) when folks changed stereos - and lost. Computer printer manufacturers tried this when folks started using third-party ink cartridges - and lost.

Now they may try to pull that crap if the bass is sent back for service - but they'll give in and fix it once you point them to the federal statute.

So if you like the QP's, keep 'em in. You still have a warranty claim if anything unrelated goes sour.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i should have said that in two posts so people wouldnt get confused.

i realize guitar center and musiciansfriend.com are completely different. i was saying that they should make good on it.

as for defective fenders, my friend got one with a bad pickup.

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Be carefull, b4 sending it back to MF make a small mark somewhere in the bass, cos they might re-send you the bass without even chacking it!!!!

14. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    'Notice the part "re the bass electronic components".

I hear 'ya, but it doesn't matter what the warranty says. If he returns the bass to repair flaking paint on the upper horn, for example, and they refuse service based on the pickup swap, they're in violation of US law.'

I appreciate your comment but the original poster wants to send the pickup back for replacement not the whole bass. If he just sends the pickup they aren't going to send him a new one. :rollno:

15. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Actually, I prefer that they not take it out of the box and ship it to me direct from Fender. The way I figure there's more chance they will scratch it than that they will catch a serious QC problem.

16. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Oh, I completely agree. I don't think we're contradicting each other at all, there. In fact, having removed the pup, he probably can't even re-install it and claim warranty.

The pickup is a lost cause.

I just wanted to make sure he understood that, on issues unrelated to the pickups/electronics, he still has warranty coverage.

17. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    'The pickup is a lost cause.'

I would be really pissed off because you save up your bucks, order the thing, bite your fingernails to the bone waiting for brown to deliver it.... and then a pickup doesn't work. Totally unacceptable! :eyebrow:

18. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I agree. All-too-common QC issues like this are one of the reasons I own no Fenders.

:bag:

Truth be told, if he were to contact Fender with a friendly Email, show his receipt, and inform them that even though he swapped out the pickup, the original one was DOA..... they might exchange it for him. If they can determine it's a manufacturing defect, he's got a good shot.

They're under no OBLIGATION to do so, but good customer relations are valuable....

19. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    In my experience, most of the online dealers will put up with a few attempts to repair a DOA item. If you pulled off a pickup to check continuity and soldered it back on ... my guess is they wouldn't know or care. I don't know what their deal is with Fender, but some they fix and resell, others they must send back.

The deal is that their basic business is selling factory direct guitars. No frills, no chance to audition, but the lowest prices I've seen. If you get a bad piece of equipement, you send it right back in the original packaging and they send you another. If you find that too much of a problem, you need to find another retailer. But you shouldn't bitch when the charge more than one who just acts as a shipping company.

The fact is that too few music stores are actually better than GC or MF. They are supposed to be "full service" stores, but they really don't do anything more than take the guitars out of the boxes and hang them on the walls. I'm willing to pay for real service, but if they aren't going to do that I rather just have them give me the lowest price and send me an unopened box.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Musician's Friend can't possibly test everything that goes out the door, or if they do it'll cost you more money and a longer delay. On that note, it's Fender's fault that Musician's Friend got the bass, and it's Musician's Friend's fault that you got the bass. However, as a buyer, you are subject to their return/replacement policy, and if it says they have to have the original in their hand in order to ship you a replacement, it's their right. If you opt out, you're SOL, don't expect a replacement... It's simply a rule of policy, and not reading the fine print when you purchase.

Not to be hard on you man, but the fact that you're being stubborn with a HUGE national company will get you nowhere. If you opt out of returning according to their policy, they won't help you and you're the only one who can change that.