Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Prophecy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoNoise, Mar 8, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hey! I was wondering if anyone could give me any info on the difference between the Prophecy I, II, and III besides the latter having a neck-thru design? Oh yeah and did they make a 5-string model? Thanks everyone!

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I had a Prophecy at one time- I beleive it had active electronics too.

Ted

3. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Okay, well I'll let you know what I've been thinking about doing. I was thinking about buying a Prophecy and putting a 5 string fretless neck on it. I would have to buy a I or a II, I believe, since I've been told all III"s have thru necks. Does that sound feasible? If so, what I have to decide is whether to buy a I or II. That's why I'm wondering what the difference is. Does any one have any measurements on the neck, particularly at the end where it bolts onto the body?

4. rae4556

rae4556

Mar 29, 2005
    Athens, PA
    I may not be an expert on all the prophecy basses but I have had a Prophecy II for 11 years, I think, The I is passive with a different bridge, I have also only seen them is solid colors but that may be wrong. The Prophecy 2 kicks butt, When mine was new it was the prettiest bass I had ever seen. It did have active electronics and the second fastest neck I have ever played (My Pedulla is first) . The only problem was it was so powerfull it distorted most amps even in a low gain input. The prophecy III was the best, It was a carbon copy of the II but with neck through. I played all of them but I went with the bold on. After I got into ebay I decided to put Bartolini pickups in it. It made it sound even better and cut down on the volume since the Barts are passive. For some strange reason I am going to sell the fender to help pay for a Pedulla MVP that I have wanted forever. I'm not sure how much I want to sell it for yet but if your interested it is the Dark Translucent blue over Japanese ash and has countless nicks and bumps.

5. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Email me or pm me if you decide on a price. I may get a MTD instead so that I can get a 5-string with a 35" scale, but I still may be intersted in the Prophecy.

6. rae4556

rae4556

Mar 29, 2005
    Athens, PA
    I'm pretty sure you would have a hard time putting a five string neck on a Prophecy 2 four string. Besides being too wide the prophecy bolt on screw pattern is very strange. I'll put some pics up if I can find my damn camera.

7. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yeah, I've pretty much given up on that idea. I've decided that I'll just string it as BEAD and drop the G-string. I would still like to get a 35" or 36" scale neck, but I'll have to wait until I have more money to get a custom made bass. Definitely send or post pics of your bass. I'm definitely interested and will work with you on the price. I'd rather buy from a TBer.

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    the prophecy is such a sick and great lookin bass. No offence mnolansoc but please dont butcher one up, aside from the fact that i dont think it would work out too well, it looks so awsome the way it is, i wouldnt frankenstien it up

9. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    That's the conclusion I came to as well. :smug: