1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender pt-100

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Sep 9, 2008.

1. i saw very mixed reviews everywhere on this pedal. but here in my country this is the only one available and fairly priced too. should i go for it? would this pedal last?
    if you have used this pedal then please write in your experience. thanks

what would you do if this was the only tuner available, no rackmount or other pedal. then only option i have is to go for a hand held tuner but i cant use that to tune up in the middle of a gig or to change my tuning if needed

2. btw, yes i ran a search but couldn't help posting and asking for reviews here. i couldn't find anything in the review section also

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    We all have to make do with what is available to us. Some of the best music in the world was created with low-tech or "low-class" gear, because a great artist will make great art even if they only have two rocks to bang together.

That said, there are only three problems I know of with any cheap tuner:
    1) inaccuracy; but the Fender is probably decently accurate.
    2) can't track the lowest notes; solved by playing a harmonic and tuning off that.
    3) bad bypass switch; solved by putting it in a better-quality bypass loop box.

4. thanks bongo!
    i cant really help the bypass matter. is it really bad or what?

5. Not necessarily. I think Bongo is just pointing out possible issues with a cheaper tuner in general.

6. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    I got a PWaves tuner for $45 used and from what i've heard, no tone loss. Pluss it tracks notes pretty well and pretty fast at that.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Great, will you mail it to New Delhi?

8. I have used the PT-100 for over 2 years and have had no issues. Its a buffered bypass, but its pretty clean. I think the tracking is quite good; one of the better pedal tuners I've tried. I play a 5-string, and it can grab the low-B with no trouble. I often tune the B down to A, and that is the only time it wanders for a second or two before settling on the A. That's as low as I ever tune. I never need to use harmonics for tuning.

9. the surprising thing is that they are selling it for about INR2200 which is near 50US$
    normally here everything is priced way over the US street price. am just wondering if these are being made in China because it is only the made in China gear which is somewhat cheaper
    anyway thanks for writing in. i would go to the store and check it out. it is only 1.5 hours away one way :-/

10. if the idea of a lame bypass bothers you, most amps have a tuner output, and hell, alot of pedals have stereo outs, for instance, i could put the tuner after the clean output of my blowtorch and use the effected one for my signal chain (i only have one amp)

so the tuner still receives bass signal, but isnt gonna affect the signal chain coz its not in it.

11. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    Hehe, i wrote that wrong. I was saying that in that, i just got one for that much money and it could be an option for him to get. Sorry if i got your hopes up :smug:

12. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I've got one. Seems good to me, but I've only had it a few weeks. No issues tuning my 5-string. I've read reviews that reckoned that the plastic footswitch was a weak point, but if you treat your gear with respect it will be fine - people moan about Behringer pedals being made of plastic, but I've had a couple that I used for a couple of years and they were fine because I didn't use them as a trampoline.

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    You still don't get it. In his first post, he says the Fender is the only tuner pedal available in his area. Therefore telling him about another cheap tuner pedal is asinine.

14. i'd rather keep the pedal in the main signal path so that the signal is muted when i am tuning up, that boooiiinng booooiiing (for the lack of a better word) sound at a gig is what i really want to avoid you know

15. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Meh, you can just EQ the tone-suck out... ;)

16. :eek:
    :rollno:

17. good call! yeah i should have thought of that.
    well general conscensus is that you'll be fine with the PT-100
    :)

18. yeah, i think i'd go and get it :)

19. anyone's got the link to download the manual for this thing ? i have searched on internet cant find it.

20. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I just had a quick look. Doesn't seem to be a digital copy of it anywhere. Have you tried emailing Fender?