1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Pure Nickel Round Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by p-bass, Feb 25, 2008.

1. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Okay,I don't like the flatwound strings I put on my Classic 50's P-Bass. I am using the Daddario XL nickel round wounds on my standard P-Bass and like those. My question is,will the Fender Pure Nickel round wounds get me a more mellow tone than the XL's ? Or will the XL's mellow into a tone like the Fenders after awhile ? I don't want to try anymore flatwounds.Thank you

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The Fender 7150's are great strings! Just replaced the flatwounds on my Precision with these (I use them on my MIM jazz fretless too)

The pure nickels of course have more bite than flats, but aren't quite as bright as the XL's. The 7150"s mellow out real nice as they age, while still retaining some grind. Give'em a go, I think you'll like them. :hyper:

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Just put a set of these on my American Deluxe yesterday, and wow, love these strings. Nice tension, not too tight or loose, and nice balance between bright and mellow. I've been using either TI flats, Smith Compressors (groundwound strings), or GHS Boomers, and these Fender are awesome. They feel and sound smoother than Boomers, which can sound bit harsh and don't last much.

D'Addario XLs have always felt too rough under my fingers, sounded too bright, and had too much tension.

Also, I have a set of SIT silencers. There sound great, nice old-school sound, but they feel kinda sticky.

My suggestion then is, if you after more of a flatwound sound but don't want to go 100% with flats, go for the Smith Compressor. These are a great compromise, and these strings last a long time, very high-quality, and if you are looking for more of a smooth round sound, then try the Fenders. I 've also tried some other kind of super smooth round with round cores, which are TI jazz roundwounds, but I never liked the super low tension, and they can sound a bit thin.

Nickel roundwounds with round cores and much smoother than rounds with hex cores. I think the DR also makes rounds with round cores, Sunbeams, I think....