Fender Pure Vintage 63 & Custom Shop 62 compared to EMG GZR for P Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sbpark, Aug 10, 2017.

1. sbpark

sbpark Supporting Member

May 26, 2010
    Currently have an EMG GZR in my CIJ P bass. After messing with it for a couple weeks, I'm finding it pretty mid-heavy. It's a decent sounding pickup with lots of love around these parts for sure, but I feel like I've lost dome of the "woodiness" and articulation that I like in a P bass sound, and the GZR seems a bit thicker sounding. I've messed with endless EQ settings on my Rumble 500, and adjusted the pickup height much lower than what I'd usually use, and the pickup still seems a bit thick/muddy/wooly with lack or articulation. I used to have an "Original 62" in an old 1976 P bass, and that pickup was very woody and a classic sound, maybe a tad weak in the low end, but easily corrected with the EQ on the amp, but very articulate and great sounding.

So how does the Vintage 63 and Custom Shop '62 Compare to the GZR and Original 62?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I know nothing about the Vintage 63, but if the newest CS 62 is anything like my CS 62 from 2001, it's pretty similar to the Geezer except without that little extra mid pop that the Geezer has. The Duncan SPB-1 is another one that's like the Geezer minus that mid pop. If you like the 62 Original (I used to have one in my Precision before I got the Geezer), you're best to stick with it because I don't believe the CS 62 will sound like it. It's a fairly unique pickup.

sbpark likes this.
  3. sbpark

sbpark Supporting Member

May 26, 2010
    I ended up ordering an "Original '62". Figured I can't go wrong with the old stand by! I doubt that anyone is going to complain in a jam or while playing at a bar gig and say that pickup sounds like crap! Figured for help the price of the Pure Vintage or Custom shop models, the good old "Original" is a pretty safe, versatile bet.

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The tone is notify different on both PV 63 and CS62 . The PV63 is bump on Lo-mid and mid along with less Hi , tone is solid and thick. Meanwhile CS62 is little scoop in MID , strong treble and punchy than PV63.
    I found the string to string tone balance is better on PV63 , the CS62 is big tone on E and A but thin on D and G.

5. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jimmy, you've mentioned the mid pop on the Geezer a few times. Just wondering where you would say it is...low mids, mid mids, high mids? I have the SPB-1 and find it pretty smooth and even. Thanks!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That I'm not entirely sure about. Somewhere between 600-700hz is my guess.

7. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Cool, I was hoping for 800-1k...to maybe get some of that sweet Bruce Thomas honk!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well mind you I'm guessing and I really don't know for sure.