1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Pure Vintage '63 Pbass pickup vs. stock Classic 50's pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Wondering if anyone has compared these two, and has put a Pure Vintage '63 in their Classic 50's Precision bass? Just looking for something with a little more punch and articulation.

I've had "Original '62" pickup sin other basses and just looking for something different. Also had an EMG GZR in a MIJ Bass and just didn't like it, the pots felt loose when they were turned, didn't care for the way the tone pot changed the sound, and the housing was just a bit larger to make getting a pick guard on and off without having to completely remove the pick guard, and I'm sure this would be even more of an issue with the anodized pick guard on the Classic 50's. Also want to retain the classic look, which the EMG didn't have.

And before someone says it, yes, I've been messing with pickup heights over the last couple months and just want something different.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I haven’t compared the two pickups, but I think this video is a pretty good representation of the ‘63.

dukeorock likes this.
  3. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    63 Vintage is the business!

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    i own a 63 pup in my Squier pbass previously and i cant get the tone like real 63 pbass.
    But she sound fuller and thick compare to CS60p, Ori 62P , SPB-1 , Area P and GZR P.
    If OP really want 60's p vibe, Aguilar AG-4P60 is the p pup you looking for.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  5. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    I’ve did an A/B comparison between the Aguilar and the Fender PV 63 today. Personally, I prefer the thick tone the PV 63 produces over the Aguilar.

Both are great pickups. The differences in tone are very subtle. The Aguilar’s tone is a tad more mid-scooped compared to the PV 63.

Choosing between the two would be a personal preference.

Either way you can’t go wrong.

6. AnttiK

AnttiK

Apr 5, 2016
    Finland
    Thank you for the comparison. Inspired by this I'm going to get the PV 63 for my Nate Mendel.

I've just got a '63 American Vintage last week (it was the last one currently in EU area at Reverb, the stock sure is dwindling quickly!). I immediately fell in love with the bass. The balance from string to string is amazing and it tracks really well. Just pure vintage goodness.

My other P is a Nate Mendel modded with Aguilar 4P-60 and original vintage bridge instead of the high mass bridge it came with. I also like this bass a lot but for other reasons. The problem with this bass is that while it sounds great it sounds a bit too thin for me and it doesn't track particularly well. And it's PITA to balance evenly, string to string. Also it has more overtones than I would like - even more so with the original high mass bridge! But based on your description and my own short experience with the '63 AV I think getting the PV 63 for the Nate also might be worth a try.

BTW... It's really amazing that these two P basses feel and sound almost nothing alike, they really could be labeled two different brands...

7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    As the OP I guess I should update. Had a PV'63 in my American Standard and a Classic 50's. Ended up putting an SPB-1 in the Classic 50's and prefer it over the SPB-1. I sold the American Standard with the PV'63. The PV'63 sounded great by itself, but tended to get lost with a full band, and the low end was a but muddy and wooly sounding with flats, and the low E had more of a thud than a thump, regardless of the strings used. The SPB-1 is a tighter sound, more thump and punch with flats. So far I am digging the SPB-1 over the PV'63.

PawleeP likes this.