Fender pure vintage 63 precision pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Oct 15, 2016.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Who has the Pure Vintage '63 P pups? What do you think of them? How do they compare to the CS62 P pup? I purchased the PV63, I just haven't installed it yet; What can I expect?

Linnin likes this.
  2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    To my ear, PV63 more mellow and tone better even from string to string than CS62 .
    Eventhough tone knob wide open , PV63 still less some treble that CS62 have.
    CS62 more open sounding than PV63, but if you looking for thick old school P vibe, you cant go wrong with PV63 .

My2Cents

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Very little difference. The '62 is a bit overwound and therefore a tad hotter output. The '63 is a period correct stock wind that some think gives greater tonality. Best way to compare is to have an '62 AVRI Precision and a '63 AVRI and do some serious back-to-back riffing! So pop 'em in and listen for your self! What are you waiting for?

4. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Thanks, I went ahead and installed them since I posted this and this is pretty much exactly what I thought of the Pure Vintage 63 pickups, exactly what you said, AND they're a bit punchier sounding as well, I really like them a lot better than the CS62's.

Yahboy likes this.
  5. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    I've got a set of PV63s here waiting to go in my P. I currently have a Duncan SPB-1 in there at present, looking forward to A/B ing them... DSC_0937.JPG

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    madjazzbass, Yahboy and BassBuzzRS like this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    SPB-1 is nice P pup too, sweet , smooth and round tone. But PV63 sound more wild compare to it.

miles'tone likes this.
  7. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    More 'wild' is what I'm hoping for..

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    Yahboy likes this.
  8. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Well, I didn't even manage to get 'mild' out of them. They are defective, dead.
    I'm using solderless connections for ease of trying different pickups and I've got nothing out of these '63s but silence. Reinstalled the Duncans and they worked fine. Tried a pair of Entwistle PBXN that I have spare, they worked fine. Wired up the Fenders once again.. Nothing. They don't appear to have any solder issues, in fact they do look very well made. They must be defective internally. Very disappointing, not least because I've got to try to send them back to the States from the UK...

9. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    I just put in a set and I like them.
    Not as big in the lows as I've read,
    But They are a little more aggressive than the 62s.
    I'm using thomastik flats and it's a good combo.
    Big vintage p bass tone

10. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Turns out that my set are not magnetised. Gear Depot have refused a refund because we are past their 30 return window. I haven't had them in my possession for 30 days yet. What a waste of money.

11. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    I think you can "magnetize" them.