Fender Pure Vintage 64' Jazz Bass pickups question:

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pbassmanca, May 21, 2017.

1. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

So, I played a Fender Flea jazz bass the other day and the Pure vintage 64' pickups in the bass really spoke to me. Nice and clear, with a good amount of bottom end humpfff, and a properly reigned in top end to the tone. (I can't stand J bass pickups that are ridiculously bright, like my 04' Highway 1 Jazz) Problem: I can't find a set of these 64' pickups anywhere. Anybody have any hookups for a set of Fender Pure Vintage 64' Jazz bass pickups? Or , does anyone know a set of pickups that would speak the same dialect? Appreciate any help folks!

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Try Ebay or Amazon.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. Pbassmanca

Thanks for the reply. I've checked both and get no hits. I'm kind of surprised they're hard to find because they were basically a mass production item in Fender's catalogue and were sold as sets and in basses for years.

4. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Lindy Fralin, give them a call or send them email. They're helpful and will help you with mid-60's vibe pickups.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. Pbassmanca

Good idea.

6. Try 63

Pbassmanca and Frenchy-Lefty like this.
  7. Pbassmanca

63?

8. @Pbassmanca you know I’ve got them on my Am. Original 60s jazz bass ... best vintage sounding jazz bass pickups played ... maybe Lollars are slightly clearer but they cost more although PV ‘64 are hard to find now

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. chechunka

chechunka Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Any issues with using them on a vintage or modern radius neck?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. Pbassmanca

Ciao Gianni! :laugh: Yeah I definitely like the sound of the 64's, although I think for my one and only jazz bass that I have right now which is a 2004 Highway One, in which the pickups I find to be ridiculously bright, I'm looking for something with a bit more of a blended tone between the 60s and the 70s Jazz basses. For example I really like the sound of the V mod pickups in the American professional basses. Fender actually lists both sets of pickups on their website now so they must be re-issuing the 64's to buy as separate units. I'm open to trying a variety of different sets of jazz bass pickups, what I'm really looking for though is something with more of a reasonable amount of treble. To put it in perspective, I have a set of Fender 7150 pure nickel strings that I've had on my jazz bass for probably 2 years and I still have to run the tone at below half most times or I have way too much clickety clack in my sound!

11. They are re-issuing them?
    Wow ... I’ll buy another Obsidian harness for the Am. Std. jazz and a set of V-mod and PV 64 then

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. Am. Originals jazz basses have a 9.5” fretboard radius ... its an in between ... very good sound

Pbassmanca likes this.