Fender Pure Vintage '74 Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FirewalZ, May 9, 2017.

1. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I have a 1977 Jazz bass that I have had for years. Sometime in the 80's my older brother, who was the original owner, had put a set of Barts on it and I want to sort of restore it back somewhat. Has anyone tried these, whats the tonal footprint? Im mostly a finger style player and like the classic Fender tone's.

2. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    I have a set in my MIJ Jazz.

They are great, you won't be disappointed. The reason I have found your thread is because I specifically have alerts set for these pickups in case they come up for sale in the classifieds.

Here is a video of how they sound if you haven't already seen it.

Realmongo, vivaknoxvegas and FirewalZ like this.
  3. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks, I didn't see a lot of reviews on these pickups and am wanting to stay Fender and closer to the period. The old Barts sound fine, just a lot tamer than other Jazz's Ive heard....they dont seem to have as much of an edge or bark.

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  4. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Bump. I was hoping at least a few people have had first hand accounts with these pickups:) I guess I can look into reviews of the associated AV 74 Jazz Bass they go on?

5. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I like them but they don't sound like my 70s jazz bass. They have more bottom and less upper treble than my 72. I ended up going with Nordstrands, couldn't be happier.