Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Quality Control Issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Mar 11, 2005.

1. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    TB' ers please enlighten me. I own two Fender basses (HW 1 Jazz and a MIM jazz). Both were purchased online used. I guess I was lucky in that my HW 1 jazz feels, sounds and plays great. My MIM jazz on the other hand is another story ( dead spots on the neck, noisy pickups from hell). I have read countless posts from users who have had alot of quality control issues with Fender lower end and mid level basses. Is Fender the only company with these problems? It sounds as though you have to try at least five or six in the shops before hopefully stumbling on a good one. Do other companies suffer from the same problems or is this a Fender thing?

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    With most any factory bass, you will always find a lemon in the bunch. Some factories have more consistent quality than others, though. Even with higher end basses like Warwick (I'm talking German 'Wicks; not RockBass), people on these forums talk frequently about some newer Warwicks being excellent while others play like garbage.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You win some, you lose some.

QC isn't as tight with their lower end models in almost any company, and some lemons leak onto the shelves to be bought by newbies who don't know what they're doing. There are some real players out there, that shine more than their higher end counterparts. My top basses are a Mexican Fretless Jazz and a vintage P-Bass. Playability is very close on both, so it means I got a good one ;)

Just play it before you drop the cash. Fender, or any brand for that matter.

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    ...Either that or just avoid the QC problems altogether and get a Japanese Fender. ;)

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Any single coil pickup will be noisy when soloed, if there is excessive RF or AC hum in the room where it is played. Doesn't matter if it is a $99 SX or a $7000 Fodera.