1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender: quartersawn necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by swartzfeger, Mar 10, 2016.

1. hi all,

Been doing a lot of reading (gassing) lately... looking to replace my current 4 (Rick 4003) due to unstable neck.

From what I understand, Fender currently offers quartersawn necks for CS basses. Do any current off the shelf Fenders feature quartersawn necks? Based on pics, it doesn't look like current American standards feature qs necks (they do have posiflex, but I'm guessing that's more for dead spots than actual stability).

Am I getting my hopes up too much expecting a quartersawn neck to be rock solid? Should I be looking more at something like a multi-piece laminate neck, or maybe saving up $3k + a kidney for a Zon?

I'd love to get either a P or J MIM for under a grand and call it a day (those roadworn Ps have been calling my name), but I can almost feel the impending frustration and disappointment... getting tired of doing multiple setups/adjustments every year.

Any $1500 and under recommendations with a super stable neck would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I have several Qsawn necks and they are the most stable in my herd . Check out Wilkins basses for a Fender type with Qsawn.
    ma baby

IMG_1065.

IMG_1056.

IMG_1054.

IMG_1064.

I have a few Warmoth as well which I like very much as well . I think now and then Qsawn does pop up on older Fenders by chance .

GregC, miles'tone, Strung_Low and 2 others like this.
  3. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    Order a Warmoth neck. Problem solved. ;-)

4. I've read that MIA Fender basses come with a graphite reinforced neck, which to me would mean more stability than being quartersawn.

Even a quartersawn neck is going to have variations due to temperature & humidity.

My Mexican Fender is neither quartersawn nor has graphite reinforcement & you can bet I have to adjust it at least two times/year.

hover and AndrewTaran like this.
  5. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Order a quarter sawn neck for your Rick. Warmoth do offers them by custom orders.

6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    For a neck through bass? Ok...

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    In my experience , RW and my Fender classic 50's lacquer P have been the most stable necks, I haven't touch the truss rod of my classic since I bought it, I owned a Fender Select with QS maple that was ok, the typical 3-4 adjustments per year. I don't know if the one piece maple and the tick finish on rw and classics make the difference.

Stingrays have been the worst, truss rod adjustments few times at month.

8. Grooveline

Grooveline

Jan 24, 2012
    My Roadworn neck is pretty stable but when you do have to adjust the neck, what a pain in the @$$. My Stingray Classic is also plenty stable with it's one piece finished neck as well. Im thinking temperature/humidity changes effect untreated and oiled necks more than gloss finished necks. I definitely hear more about fret sprout on the MM basses without the gloss finished necks.

9. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    You can a get a quarter-sawn neck on a neck-through bass. I have one.

Edit: Whoops, just realized you meant for the "from Warmoth" part. Nevermind!

10. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Exactly.

On a similar note I was talking about Warmoth about building a neck and they offer both graphite and quartersawn as options. In their words once you have graphite reinforcement the value of quartersawn is negligible. At that point it has a bigger impact on the look and the "prestige" of being quartersawn than actually having any additional structural benefit.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    You're right. Forgot that little detail about Ricks. Please nevermind my stupid comment.

12. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Get an MIM Fender and a Moses graphite neck for it. Done.

13. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    My QS neck basses are super stable. CS Jazz. Sadowsky Metro. 1975 Jazz. 2000 Stingray fretless.

14. EBMM are quartersawn? Going thru sweetwater's gallery, none of the Rays looked QS.

15. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    The only production basses Fender makes with a QS neck are the Select series. They don't offer them all the time. The come out once in a while. They are basically a CS built bass. I have a 2010 P. It is my #1. Love the compound radius. They are built by the master builders in the custom shop using custom shop wood and parts. They are not signed.
    They make them in J and P. I just checked Fender.com and don't see them there now. A used one or new old stock will be about all that is available. And, they are not inexpensive.
    I did find one here: Fender Select Jazz Bass - Amber Burst - Open Box Extra Savings | Reverb

Matthew_84 likes this.
  16. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    My point was that any wood neck is going to involve an element of luck. Even a QS one. Though a multi-piece laminated neck from a quality builder, much less so. But, a graphite neck, not so much. You can be pretty sure that a graphite neck is going to be rock-solid.

And an MIM Fender plus a Moses neck will probably be cheaper than a CS or even Select. Certainly cheaper than a Sadowsky.

AltGrendel and Starseed like this.
  17. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    For that matter, I would totally recommend an SX for $120 and a Moses neck. Replace the tuners and electronics, if so desired. Still have a rock-solid alder or ash body with a graphite neck for way less than a Fender with a QS neck.

Fat Steve likes this.
  18. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I had a Ric. It had the worst neck, in terms of stability, I've ever seen. Seriously, every time the season changed, the neck would warp out of control. I owned that bass for a year and I literally had it in my possession for 4 months. The rest of the time it was at the Rickenbacker factory for repair. I got it back the last time and sold it for $400. Very disappointing to say the least. I haven't look back. I've had several Fender basses and have never had that issue. Warmoth also makes fine replacement parts.

GregC, MarkBT and brendanbassix like this.
  19. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    You'd be wrong about that, I am saddened to report. Unless the entire neck is graphite it can, will and does move.

Doctor J likes this.
  20. Sure they move, but as much as a quartersawn?
    I didn't say they do not move.