Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Mar 16, 2004.

1. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Hi,
    I noticed that Chi Cheng (Deftones) plays an american deluxe p with only two knobs on it. I also seem to remember hearing somewhere that it is passive (hence, only two knobs). I dig the deluxe p but not the active tone. Here's my question, would I be better off getting a regular P and having the humbucker installed or just buying the deluxe and making it passive. Would I be able to get the "special design humbucker" from Fender or is this just a Music Man style pickup?

2. Hey man,

i've got bass guitar magazine with a chi cheng feature and its definately not a musicman humbucker, i can scan the article and pictures if you want and email em to you if you dig chi cheng :bassist:

3. It's different from the Musicman pickup. I don't think Fender sells the pickup individually, so your best bet would be to get a deluxe and make it passive. I think Chi's bass is actually Custom Shop.

4. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    My local music store just got a deluxe 5 in. That thing is just incredible! The pickup is different. I think that's the way I'm gonna go.