1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Mar 16, 2004.

1. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Hi,
    I noticed that Chi Cheng (Deftones) plays an american deluxe p with only two knobs on it. I also seem to remember hearing somewhere that it is passive (hence, only two knobs). I dig the deluxe p but not the active tone. Here's my question, would I be better off getting a regular P and having the humbucker installed or just buying the deluxe and making it passive. Would I be able to get the "special design humbucker" from Fender or is this just a Music Man style pickup?

2. Hey man,

i've got bass guitar magazine with a chi cheng feature and its definately not a musicman humbucker, i can scan the article and pictures if you want and email em to you if you dig chi cheng :bassist:

3. It's different from the Musicman pickup. I don't think Fender sells the pickup individually, so your best bet would be to get a deluxe and make it passive. I think Chi's bass is actually Custom Shop.

4. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    My local music store just got a deluxe 5 in. That thing is just incredible! The pickup is different. I think that's the way I'm gonna go.