Fender question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Jun 17, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just wondering why Fender won't do a 'wide' necked 5'r?? I know their 5 strings do have a bit wider neck than those 'pencil' necked Ibanez SR's and others but I'd like to see a Fender 5 with a neck like the Ibanez BTB or the MTD Kingston/Hier basses! :meh:
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The much-discussed Fender Roscoe Beck 5 has full 1/4" string spacing.
  3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

According to the Ibanez site:
    Ibanez BTB 305 and 405
    Width at nut: 47mm
    Width at last fret: 76mm

According the the Fender site
    Fender Jazz MIA V
    Width at nut: 47.6mm
    My measurement on the last fret: 72mm

That is pretty much identical..

The fender basses have just as wide necks as the Ibanez basses it seems.
    Keep in mind that the BTB basses have 24 frets whilst the MIA jazz has 20.

Edit: from the specs I´ve seen about the Kingston and Heir 5 stringers, the width at the nut is 1 3/4" and I gather that it is approx. 44.5mm, which is narrower. Haven´t seen anything about the width at the last fret though..
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't know! I was in a local music store yesterday and I picked up both and the BTB was wider by far. The BTB neck does fan out more than the Fender towards the bridge and like you said, it has more frets but no way was the Fender wider, IMO.
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Could it be the shape of the neck that is causing this?

The Fender basses have a so called C shaped neck, I don´t know about the Ibanez basses, but maybe the neck profile could be causing this.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The Ibanez has an asymetrical slim profile (slimmer on the B string side). The BTB just felt wider and it definitely is at the bridge. Also, it is a 35" scale as opposed to the 34" scale of the Fender. So given that, I can see where I'm feeling the width. But even so for the Fender, why not make a neck that fans out more or even go to 35" scale for the 5's?
  7. Fender jazz Vs have full 3/4" spacing. They only have 20 or 21 frets, though, so the neck doesn't look as wide as on a 24 fret board.