Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Question....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JehuJava, Dec 3, 2004.

1. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'm new to Fender. I was against them for the last 15 years because I thought they were too mainstream, etc. So, I finally played one, loved it, and I bought this used 5 string american jazz. I know nothing about it though.

What is the difference between the double pole pick-ups and the hefty single pole pick-ups?

I think this is a Deluxe model with the 4 knobs...which one is the mid knob? The tiny 4th one?

Al

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The deluxe version has the 1/4 inch slugs (pups and electronics are MIA) It also has the four knob setup with the jack located on the side of the body.
    The standard version has three knobs with dual pole pups. The jack is located on the control plate under the little knob.

The first knob closest to the pup is volume, the next knob is pup pan, the stacked knob (big) is bass and the top (small) is treble, the bottom knob is the mid.

3. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Your singer has quite a set of legs :)

I've only tested them out quickly in stores but if I can recall it is the 4 tiny knob. Doesn't seem like it makes a difference, huh?

4. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I didn't get a distinct impression that one was treb and the other was mid either. I just kinda figured the stacked pot woul be bass and treb.

Thanks for checkin out the website...she can belt it out too.

Al

5. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Is there a sound difference between the two. It seems more beefy of a sound...I'm not sure if I just hear that because I switched from a Warwick Infinity SN...too much mid for me.

Al

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The deluxe bass is active and the standard bass is passive.

7. Generally the bigger pole pickups sound beefier and hotter. Plus, the preamp in them is the old Suhr one, which I think was also a little hotter and rougher. The next pre and pickups sound a bit more subdued, a bit cleaner in my experience, but not by much. Sounds like you have a late 90s American Deluxe 5er - good choice! I have a 4 and I love it to bits.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The pups and electronics in the MIM dlx bass are not the Suhr stuff from the MIA dlx basses up until 1998. I own both MIA and MIM versions of the dlx jazz bass, my 98 MIA bass is the last one with the Suhr stuff. The MIM dlx bass came after 98 I think and the pups and electronics are a variation of the Suhr stuff, even possibly the same pre-amp as the 99 and up MIA bass. The pups may only be copys of the Suhr pups. There is a huge difference in sound between the MIA 98 dlx jazz and the MIM version with the MIA bass being more articulate, more refined with less harshness. The newer MIM dlx jazz contains the "noiseless" pups that was once in the MIA bass, the MIA dlx now carries "Samarium Cobalt Noiseless" pups designed by Bill Lawrence.

9. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I did a s/n search on some guys website...It would seem that I have a 1997 MIA Jazz Deluxe. Either way, I am soooo excited about this bass...It is THE sound I've been trying to get for a long time now. I can't believe I've snubbed Fender all these years.

10. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    What benefit is putting the strings through the bass athe bridge?

I have the holes on the rear of the bass...more sustain?

Al

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Some say yes, some say no. Every stb bass I own (7in all) are actually stb. I have tried to hear a difference by switching back and forth but I could not hear or feel one. Ymmv.

12. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You will hear a difference stringing through the body and the bridges. I'm not very good at explaining the difference but I seem to remember it said that you hear more harmonics through the bridge and more fundamentals through the body. You could buy two sets of the cheapest strings you can find (doesn't matter if you like them or not) and try it both ways. I'm just guessing here, but I'd imagine you'd hear a greater difference with a Fender than with some because the bridge isn't buried in the body as with some basses.

13. Good to know. I felt that the old MIMs sounded a lot like my 97 MIA, but it's only by design I guess. A little more sterile maybe, kind of what you get with any cheaper pickup, but good anyways. And with the new Noiseless pickups, the new MIM Deluxes must sound great too.

The Samarium Cobalt pickups are sweet. I tried em out a few weeks ago and they're very clean and warm. Definitely not as hot as mine. Funny how every MIA Deluxe thread ends with us discussing pickups! :D