Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woofenstein, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Does anyone know the difference between the Squires that say "Fender Squire Series" and "Squire By Fender" on the headstock? Thanks!

2. One is a cheap beginner bass the other is an inexpensive entry level bass..............sorry, just joking LOL

3. Haha - seriously....I was waiting for that one :) I'm mainly wondering if the Squire was ever a decent instrument? I've talked to a few people that seem to think they were ok back in the day...

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Most likely just a marketing thing....

5. If it is an early to mid 80s Squire an the nimber starts with EJ then it is a great bass. Those were they much sought after Japanese made Squires. But other than that prtetty much what you know about them cheap beginners basses .

6. Thanks - this is exactly the type of info I was looking for :)

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I use my Squier as my main bass. It was built in 2001 I believe. I replaced the pickups, put on a new pickguard.
    It plays like a dream.
    [​IMG]

-Mark

8. I once heard that the first squieres were made by spare parts of fender basses. Dunno if it's true though..
    My teacher has an old Squier Jazz Bass at home, completely Orange lol, but it sounds great.