Fender questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mongeaux, May 22, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Why exactly is the U.S. Special Highway 1 J-Bass $200 more than the Standard J? The specks look the same except the Hwy 1 is MIA and has a thiner finish. Is that really worth an extra $200?

Has anyone here tried the P Bass Jr? Does it actually sound like a P bass? I still havent given up on finding a cool short scale bass. They are so easy on the back and fingers. I'm eyeballing the Mustang as well.
  2. The Highway 1 is made in the USA, which automatically demands a higher price-tag, because the cost of labor is higher in the US, among other things. The Highway 1 SHOULD be a better overall bass, but a lot of the time it may not be. The same way standard MIA's are sometimes worse than MIM's. It depends on the individual bass, which is why it's important to try it out first. You decide if it's worth the extra 200$. I'm personally not a fan of the look of matte finishes, but they are a great cost-reducer if you're interested in picking up an American bass for cheaper than the standard MIA.
  3. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    this has been done several times before. It's got to be somewhere in the archives. anyway, there is a series of small details that make the 200 dollar difference. Pickups, tuners, bridge, finiish, neck. In very basic terms, the highway 1 is what you would get out of a mim if it was made in the us. In this case, made is a very relative word since the wood on both mims and usa basses is "made" (cut/shaped) in the us, then put together in ensenada or corona, with hardware and electronics that come from different parts of the world. :eyebrow:

Is it worth it? you be the judge. I think a better question would be a MIM vs a highway 1. Is it worth to pay more for the same parts put together in the us instead of mexico?
  4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Can someone tell me what mia and mim stands for?
    is it like american and american dlx or what? i don find anything about those..
  5. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    MIA is Made in America
    MIM is Made in Mexico
    as a bonus MIJ is Made in Japan :)
  6. TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Oh man birdsg...I can't belive you give him the bonus!
    That was supposed to be the esteemed secret,
    that only those in the know...know.

Well now that the cat is out of the bag,
    the only thing I can really say about that

. . . P U L L

: )
  7. si-fidelity

Apr 13, 2004
    Here are the REAL FACTS
    (as a highway 1 jazz player myself and general fender fanatic)
    There are a few main differences between the HW1 (highway 1) and the Standard MIMs...

FINISH: current MIM models have a Polyester finish, MIAs have Polyurethane. the highway 1 is finished in a SATIN NITROCELLULOSE lacquer (nitro. was used on all the 60's basses, it requires many coats and long drying ie wood saturation periods... which all means you'll be getting great sustain and tone. the other two are cheaper and faster)

PICKUPS: The HW1 has vintage Alnico pickups- again, like 60's jazz basses. the MIM have ceramic pickups.

the HW1 neckplate has the "corona, california" stamp, aswell as placing the serial number on the back of the headstock... with a very nice made in USA under the logo. In general the HW1 should have better construction overall, but I have to agree that it will always vary bass to bass. The MIM and HW1 hardware is the same. which one? well it depends on tone. Personally I went with the HW1 because a) us made, b) the 60's vibe and the non-gloss finish.
  8. netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Would you say that because of the two finishes that the usa highway1(satin nitrocellulose) should sound a little better than the new mia with s1 switching (polyurethane)as i am looking into buying one or the other.
    cant make up my mind . cant find anywere that have both in stock that i can compare.
  9. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I just purchased a MIA Jazz QMT and I love it. I played one of the MIA standard jazz bass and the deluxe blows it away. the 18volt preamp in the deluxe is the bomb!! of course it's a little more exspensive...
    check 'em out...

The S1 switching was a nice feature - but IMHO it didn't do much for me. Basically you're supposed to be able to get the tone of both a P and J from the same bass. It's a nice feature - but the 18volt pre in the MIA's blows it away. The sound syou get from the MIA Dlx's in out of this world. I had to take back everything bad I've ever said about Fender....... ;-)
  10. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England

Those are some mighty fine basses!

11. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I have owned a few mex's and now own a H.W.1 and i could'nt be happier with the up-grade,the differences in the 2 though few in number are huge in playability.
    My mex and all the mex's I have owned and worked on have'nt got nodda on the H.W.1,The biggest difference is the neck,I have noticed that the wood used on the neck is less sturdy on the mex,it needs frequent adjustments and the fretts stick out no matter how carefull you are with the humididty and keeping the neck well oiled.
    My H.W.1 never needed an adjustment other then when I changed the gauge of strings,while my mex knocked me silly with tweaking. I did a complete mod on my buddies mex j-bass,custum shop p-ups,B.Aass bridge,ftrett level,new pots ETC.it plays better than before but it still lacks what an american Fender has.
    My opinion has been formed by doing countless set-ups on many basses ,my own and countless other peoples at my friends music store,for the extra 200.00 $the H.W.1 or for the same price plus shipping ,Fender Japans basses put them to shame(they give the U.S. models a run for the money) :bassist:
  12. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    yea the geddy lee i played today at GC was amazing. Perfect set up and sounded like butter through an M-pulse 600.
    the MIJ Fenders seem to be the most consistant in terms of action and set up. Just my two cents....the HWY 1 J's I have played have all felt cheap and the set up from factory was way bad but as with all Fenders these days every ax is different. :rollno: not a good thing...