Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Th3rd day, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Th3rd day

Th3rd day

Aug 18, 2004
    Im new at bass (about 6 months) and ive recently been looking around for a new bass. Ive been playing guitar for a while so i know for a fact you go with fender and you cant go wrong. My question is whats the difference between a p bass and a precision bass and whats the difference between a j bass and a jazz bass. I thought they were the same excat thing untill i saw the price and heard the sound of them. Sorry im new. Thanks.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

isnt j short for jazz and p short for percision? theres no actual fender called p bass or j bass.

3. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    "J" is short for "Jazz".

However, several manufacturers make jazz basses and they are different in that respect.

4. mr_bungle

mr_bungle Guest

Aug 22, 2004
    Greenville, Mi
    Yeah, that's right. The difference in price was probably because some are made in mexico and are less expensive than the american made fenders.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

both MIA and MIM fenders are Jazz basses, J is like an immitation name.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    :rolleyes:

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Just check the headstock to see the country of manufacture. That will go a long way towards explaining the price difference. The American models are the more expensive. If you check out
    Fender's web site you can get an idea of the what basses fall into each price segment.

Dan

8. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Don't make the mistake of believing that if it's a Fender you can't go wrong. Fender's quality control isn't the greatest, and there have been threads here addressing the issue. There can be two of the exact same model hanging side by side in your local music shop, and one will be killer, and the other not so good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Fender fan. Just take the time and effort to pick and choose. Take someone with you who may know more about choosing a bass and what to look for.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    With Fenfer you can definitely go wrong... What's your price range, and what kind of music do you play? Anything to do with your name? :) Tai plays MM basses, which are much better basses IMO than Fenfer P's or J's. But there are plenty of basses in this price range that'd beat out a Fenfer anyday.

10. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas

I agree! There are a lot of things to consider when you're choosing a bass. See if you can find an experienced bass player or your teacher to go with you and give you advice. You'll save mega bucks in the long run! :p