Fender Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass87, Dec 22, 2002.

1. I dont want to sound like an ignorant newbie but anyway...
    What is the difference between a MIA and a MIM fender? Ive heard it mentioned a lot but Im not sure what each one is.
    Which models of fenders are mexican made and which are american made? Or are some of each model mexican made and some american made?
    Thanx for any help.
  2. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    mia means made in america, mim means made in mexico.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    In general, if the name of the model doesn't include "American" in it, it's not MIA. For example, American Precision Bass Deluxe, or American Standard Jazz Bass.
  4. O rite thanx guys. Are the american basses better than the mexican ones then?
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Should be. But it's not always the case. :rolleyes:
  6. The american basses have a lot better pickups and therefore produce much better sound. You should be able to tell that they are better by the price of them,
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's not always true, use a bad peice of wood, you could put any pickup in it & it'll sound bad.

I've played alot of MIM's that elt & sounded better than the MIA's the MIA's do use better hardware & electronics but a quick swap & you have a great bass for less then a USA.

Just because something is more expensive, it's better? LOLOLOLOLOLO Thanks, I needed a good laugh. :D