Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender RB 5 Vs Mike Lull 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Haley, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I currently own a Fender RB 5 and I love this bass. I'm thinking about buying a second bass. What do you think about the Mike Lull 5 and other Fender type basses? I would love to buy a Sadowsky but I can not justify the price. Thanks for the advice.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Love my RB5 too. I also happen to own a Mike Lull P5 simply because I wanted a passive 5-string Precision, and the Fender P5 is active.

Even though both basses are passive, the Lull P5 is a very different animal from the Fender RB5. The biggest reason for me is that the RB5 has an alder body, whereas the Lull is ash (w/maple top). Another difference: RB5 is 34" scale, my P5 is 35". With the ash body and 35" scale, the P5 doesn't have the old-school Motown thump, it's more aggressive: less lows, more mids and bite... that's fine with me. Note that Lull basses are available in alder, and I believe 34" scale is an option for some models.

There's a huge difference in playability between the two basses. As you know, the RB5 has a big chunky neck profile and standard 19mm string spacing at the bridge. Lulls are made to be fast: the neck profile is very slim, and bridge spacing is 17mm. The P-bass lover in me wishes very much that the Lull had the same playability as the RB5: IMHO, a P-bass of any type should have standard spacing and a big fat neck. The Fender P5 has this, but again, I didn't care for the preamp in the Fender. The Lull P5 does have a very sexy satin finished neck, and I must say that I can't complain much about the slim profile! I do very much wish the bridge spacing was 19mm instead of 17mm, though.

Other positives for Lull: as one would expect from a boutique instrument, fit and finish are fantastic, including the super-tight neck pocket. I also like the wide variety of options for finishes, fancy tops, pickups, and preamps.

Clearly I've only referenced the Lull P5. Mike makes a variety of J-type basses and you might be able to get the config your'e looking for. Shoot 'em an email.... Roger Gee is very quick about answering questions.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Lull's are great. I had an artist deal with them for a bit and played a modern 5. It was nice. I know you said you can't justify the price of a Sadowsky but you should reconsider. It's the only bass you may ever need. Conpletely versatile, lightweight, good looks, etc. A used Lull will cost only a few hundred less that a used Sadowsky. I'd break the bank and go for it. I did it a few years ago and have not regretted it. The best preamp in the business, best fretwork, and super support from the company. Trust me and do it. :)

Rob