Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender RB5 The best Fender? please comment1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, May 13, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I have a Roscoe Beck Five and love it, but I hear quite a bit here on TB that people consider them the best Fender out there???

my question is, are they even better then the FMT, MARCUS MILLER 5, OR the new DELUXES? in terms of sound, Bstring etc...

please comment because I have not had the chance to compare the above models to the RB5 :meh:

2. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    It just might be the best sounding Fender of current production. I've personally compared mine to a Hot Rod P-bass, deluxe P-bass, '51 RI, '62RI and the RBV smokes 'em all. Thats not to say that the others were slouches. They are excellent basses. Its just that the RBV has rich, lush, warm, deep bass tones that the others just can't produce. I expect that the new RBIV will be exceptional as well. :)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Best 5 string..yes... Best fender? nah.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The RB5 happens to be my *favorite* Fender. That doesn't mean it should be anyone else's.

Try to remember that in music there's never such a thing as an overall *best*... there's only what's best for you.

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

excellent response , Fuzzbass :D

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It could be , the ones i have played had quality to them. Cool Pick ups too.

7. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    sound clip on the Fender site could be better. I like the design. If I got a 5 string JJ/JJ would be my choice of pickups. Probably do series/parallel/single coil on each pickup instead of the RBV version.

you writing this down Nino? One day.....

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    How come the sound clips on the Fender website dont work for me? I have the latest Flash yet getting no sound

9. For many, the best 5 string that Fender offers. I wouldn't say the best Fender, because that varies. But I've heard that the B string is the best seen on a Fender.

10. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

35" scale?

11. You can't really compare the RB5 to the FMT, Marcus Miller 5 or Deluxes because the RB5 is quite a different beast from the rest. The RB5 is the best passive Fender 5 string out there and it gives you all the classic 60's Jazz Bass tones and more, but the other Fenders are active beasts with very different (and more aggressive) sounds.

Which is the best Fender 5 string? It all depends on what kind of sound and vibe you're going for. I own an RB5 and have to say that it is everything I need in a gigging bass. It plays well, is extremely versatile, sounds great, and has a solid B string. However, I tried the MM5 and liked it for what it is (an updated active 70's Jazz), so wouldn't mind picking one up some time in the future.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nope, 34". Believe it or not, 34" B strings can sound great too. I play my RB5 in a rock band that tunes down to Eb (and I tune down too, shame on me :p ), and the B string still sounds fantastic. I use Labella Hard Rockin' Steels (same strings that RB uses) which have tapered B and E.