Fender rebuilding help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a3holerman, Jan 2, 2006.

1. a3holerman

Nov 21, 2002

Started learning the bass a few months ago at 57 and am loving it. I have gotten bitten by the "Tube" bug however.
    I am looking at a early Bassman 100 and would like to rebuild it. I have had extensive experience in building and repairing commercial and ham tube electronics. I have been out of the field for many years but still have most of my test equipment. I am looking for any advice on places to locate things like tolex and faceplates as both are in bad shape. The electronice I can probably locate at Allied or locally. If there are perhaps any websites or forums that cater to rebuilding that would be very helpfull.

Thanks very much in advance for any help
  2. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    The Astin Pittman (owner of Groove Tubes) book "Tube Amp Handbook" has LOTS of information and a zillion schematics. I'd start with that.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

First, go to webervst.com. Pay special attention to the links to Ampwares (Fender Field Guide) and the Fender Discussion Page. Also check out Mojotone, Vibroworld, Hoffman, Angela, and Antique Electronics for starters.

Have fun!
  4. a3holerman

Nov 21, 2002
    Thanks very much. I am impressed at the variety of components still available.

Hopefuly there are people making replacement Fender pannels.

Thanks Again
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Sure thing. :cool:

You can definitely get nice replacement faceplates readily for the common guitar models, not sure about your Bassman 100 though. PM me if you have any trouble locating whatever you need. It's actually possible to build a really nice Fender tube amp clone just from new parts.
  6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It's a wonderful head. Sounded great on the record I just cut, and is plenty loud with efficient speakers (like my LDS neo 2x12 that is being made).