1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Redundancy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petrus61, Jul 12, 2012.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

So I'm planning on another bass purchase at the end of the year and have been smitten by the post '08 US Standards. After having two P's in the stable (now down to one), I found there to be not enough difference to justify having two. BUT....(there's always a butt), with the features on the post '08 models, I now feel as if I could possibly justify giving my 62RI P a little brother. BUT....(another butt), I do feel the need to Jazz up my current fam with another contoured body beset with two single coils, the current resident being of the Alder/Rosewood persuasion. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, what is your twisted logic behind having two Jazz's or two P's, etc....

Heck, whats the logic behind multiple anything??????

Discuss.

2. Buy a Jazz, install an S-1 switch, like magic, you have both!

Seriously, I love my jazz with an S-1, and I think the new 2012 USA standards come with it installed actually.

3. You could always call it a backup.

4. petrus61

Did not know that

5. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I can't give you a logical explanation for that but (there is always a but, indeed) FYI - I own five vintage fenders (4 j's and 1 p), 2 american standard ('95 and '08 *post cbs-corona*) j's and a '09 steve bailey jazz bass 6 string sig. Why do I have eight american fenders? I have no idea but (one more butt :D) they are excellent basses and i love them all!

6. I do not think that is correct.

7. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    I have four highway one p basses. I justify it because i like them and i have different strings and tunings on each one.

c3bc21d1.

PawleeP likes this.
  8. petrus61

I love the Daphne Blue! Is that one truss access at the heel?

9. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Yes its an '06 got it in the classifieds here.

10. petrus61

Want

11. svt1233

svt1233

Jan 15, 2012
    I've got an 07 and it has it.
    get a jazz bass for sure
    I have three basses
    three jazz basses

12. petrus61

I have a jazz and a p. The "p" pretty much being the definitive version for me. I guess it's the multiple J's I'm concerned about?

13. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    You don't need to justify having more than one of the same bass to anyone but yourself.
    If you really want it & can afford it - buy it!
    I've owned 7 Ric 4003 basses at once, with several in the same color, and I currently own 3 Spector basses with plans to buy several more.
    Monogamy applies only to marriages, not to basses. :bassist:

14. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    I think for me the reason I'd get another of the same kind of instrument is to put flats on one, rounds on the other, particularly with P-Basses.

Another reason would be to have a passive, simple version of one, hot-rodded active version of the other. Maybe a stock passive Jazz and then one with preamp + different pups.

Yet another would be if a bass you liked had two very different tones to it, like having a PreEB Stingray and a current 2 Humbucker version.

I'm a P-Bass guy, and I'd rather not own multiple J's (or as it turns out, any!). I have "In anyone else's hands, awesome" syndrome when it comes to Jazz basses.

At the moment I have a P, a J, and a 'Ray so what do I know!

15. petrus61

I hear that. When it comes to three "P" Fendy's with Flats is the crowd I'm talking about.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a P bass that plays great but the fotoflame has cracked very badly. No resale value.

I have a P bass that plays great, sounds great and looks great.

I have a P bass that plays great, sounds great, looks great, and has mojo. Yeah, mojo is overused but this bass has it.

So I use the fotoflame P for practice, the "mojo bass" for gigs, and the other P bass for backup at gigs.

17. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I buy MIMs so I am not in your league I guess but I currently have a Deluxe Active Jazz and I have a Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz on order. So I will have two Jazz basses, just not identical ones. For me that is the key, they are different enough to make having both worthwhile. I would not get two of the same unless I were a working musician and needed a backup that was 100% what I was used to. In this case the Reggie Hamilton is a P/J bass so it is already different. I chose it over the Deluxe Active P Bass Special because it has an active/passive switch, a Hipshot tuner, a nicer neck, and perhaps nicer pickups and bridge. I also liked the finish choice better. My current Jazz is black, the new one will be sunburst. It's kind of an odd move for me because while I don't want another black Jazz I've been very cool towards sunburst/tort until I started looking at the Tony Franklin and Reggie Hamilton basses. For some reason they look right to me in those finishes.

I'm already planning to mod both of the basses. I think I will put the passive/active switch on my current Jazz and then add a passive mode tone control to both. I am going to try a fretless neck on the current Jazz. If I can learn to play it well I may buy a fretless down the road and reconvert it to fretted. The fretless I have in mind will be a departure: a Godin A4.

Even if I did buy two of the same basses I would want them to be different in some way. Different colors, different years, something.

Ken

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have 4 P basses, and a few P/J basses.

One P is fretless, and the other 3 are fairly similar. An 08 MIA, a 57' AVRI, and a 62' AVRI. I originally had flats on the 62', but I really prefer rounds. I just like P's, that's why I have them. Different looks really, maple vs. rosewood...

19. njv1451

njv1451

Jan 3, 2012
    NYC
    Assuming price isn't the issue, what about the recent Am. deluxe P basses? J PU in back, P PU up front, plus the active and passive option. It my not be as authentic to the natural P style but it definitely offers a good bit of variation

20. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I am here to publicly admit that I have some kind of Fender bass OCD like disorder. I'm simply addicted to them. "Builds" might be a bit grandiose a term for what I do ... I'm more of a "hunter/gatherer" of cheap basses and parts with just about enough assembly/setup skills to be dangerous. I'm an absolute Fender bass nut (as evidenced by my TalkBass moniker) and think they're just about the coolest things that ever hit the planet. I just love how Leo Fender got it 98% right on his first stab at in in 1951 and then kicked it up to 99 44/100% right on the 1957 redesign to it's final form. I've tried to have an example of the primary permutations of Fender Ps and Js in my bass stable. A principal tenet of my hobby/addiction is that it has to be done "on the cheap" so I'm a bargain hunter. A few of my basses came to me in their entirety, but most are assembled from parts I've acquired over time ... and most of my basses that have been acquired in their entirety have been customized in some way or have the neck off of some other bass on them now as I've had excellent luck with experimenting with body/neck/string combinations and ending up with better basses than I started with. Here's a rundown of what I've got:

Fender 50th Anniversary Precision: ash body with see through butterscotch finish, 1998 Fender American Standard maple/rosewood neck and Fender Custom Shop '59 Precision pickup from Fender Mike Dirnt bass

Fender 1998 American Standard Precision: alder body with 3 color sunburst finish, maple/maple neck from a 1982 Fender AV '57 reissue Precision and Fender Custom Shop '59 Precision pickup from Fender Mike Dirnt bass

Fender 1995 American Standard Precision: alder body with 3 color sunburst finish and the original 1962 neck, pickup, pots and controls from a pre-CBS 1962 Precision (this is the closest thing to a "collector's item" I have in my bass stable).

Warmoth Precision: mahogany body with transparent cherry finish (like 60's Gibson SG guitars and EB series basses), Fender 50th anniversary maple/maple neck (originally from the above 50th anniversary Precision) and a Fender '62 reissue Precision pickup

USA Custom Guitars P/J: mahogany body with nitro walnut stained natural finish, Warmoth maple/maple Precision neck, Fender '62 reissue Precision pickup and Noiseless Jazz pickup (in the 70's position)

Warmoth P/J: mahogany body/walnut top with natural finish, Warmoth maple/rosewood Jazz neck, Seymour Duncan Antiquity P & J pickups and Aguilar OBP-3 active preamp (J pickup is in the 60's position)

Fender Squier CV 60's Precision: basswood body with sonic blue finish ... mostly stock short of a tortoise shell pick guard, Gotoh 201 bridge and a Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Precision pickup (this is actually one of my best players and is a remarkable bass given how cheap I got it)

Fender Sting Precision: ash body with a tobacco sunburst finish, maple/maple Tele bass style neck and a Hammon Engineering Dark Star pickup.

Warmoth Dark Star Precision: alder body with a tobacco sunburst finish, Warmoth maple/rosewood Precision neck and a Hammon Engineering Dark Star pickup.

and my FrankenJs ...

FrankenGeddyLee #1: alder black MIJ Geddy Lee body, MIJ maple/rosewood reissue 70's Precision neck, raised A & D Lindy Fralin pickups. This is an absolute killer J ... one of the best I've ever played ... sounds really full with the DR Marcus Miller Fat Beam strings that are on it.

FrankenGeddyLee #2: alder 3 color sunburst MIM 70's reissue J body, Warmoth maple/maple Jazz neck, Fender Noiseless pickups, all black hardware. This one is a real looker and is more or less intact from the way I bought it off of eBay for only $425/shipped with gig bag.

Old School 70's J: alder 3 color sunburst MIM 70's reissue J body, MIM maple/rosewood J neck (which originally came to me with the transparent cherry mahogany Precision when I got it off of TalkBass for only $500/shipped with a nice HSC), Lindy Fralin raised A & D pickups, strung with Lakland Joe Osborn flats.

Franken60'sJ: alder olympic white early 80's MIJ Squier J body (red tortoise shell pickguard, of course), Warmoth maple/rosewood Precision neck, Lindy Fralin raised A & D (originally from a Mike Lull Vintage J)

FrankenModernJ: ash tobacco sunburst 2002 Fender American J body, Warmoth wenge/rosewood J neck, Fender Noiseless J pickups, Badass III bridge

Most of my basses have upgraded tuners (usually Schaller BMLs or BMFLs), bridges (Gotoh 201 & 203 and Fender top load/strings thru are my favorites) and pickups. D'Addario 105-45 Nickel Rounds, DR Marcus Miller 105-45 Fat Beams and Lakland Joe Osborn 106-45 flats are on most of my basses short of my 50th Anniversary Precision which is strung with a killer set of Sadowsky 105-45 flats that originally came to me on that dirt cheap Fender/Squier 60's CV Precision which is such a good bass and cost me so little ($300/shipped with a really good HSC). My basses typically cost me $500 - $700 when all is said and done. Anyway, that's my bass stable as it stands right now. I'm keeping an eagle eye out for a Warmoth '72 Precision body (much like a Fender Mike Dirnt) to go with a killer USA Custom Guitars maple/rosewood Tele headstock Precision neck that I have on hand.

As far as what I do with all these friggin' basses ... I'm a weekend warrior blues bassist who plays 4 - 5 gigs a month with two main bands: Flatfoot Sam & the Educated Fools and the Alpha Dog Blues Band and do an occasional freelance gig as well.