1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Reggie Hamilton Custom shop PJ5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocksolid, Sep 26, 2009.

1. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    John,

That's exactly the type of information I'm seeing. Thanks so much.

2. john nam

john nam Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    You're welcome. Btw, I have an almost mint original Fender CS Reggie PJ tort pickguard for sale, if anyone is interested. $40 shipped.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Mmmmm. New Fender stuff. Very nice! Congratulations.

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Very cool! We all have our preferences. If it were me, I would wish the Fender Logo decal was darker, and blocks on a fingerboard without binding just look all kinds of wrong to my more 'traditional' eyes. No disrespect intended. Just a visual preference. Otherwise, sure looks like a killer bass, and Reggie Hamilton is freaking amazing! He wouldn't have a signature bass that wasn't awesome! Play it in the best of health!

5. Reggie Hamilton

Reggie Hamilton

Jan 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    FMIC, Fodera, A Designs Audio, Dunlop, T-Rex, Pearlman Mics, Fishman
    Hello All,

The neck on the RH CSV is asymmetrical. That idea was later used for the Steve Bailey and the current Jazz Deluxe. It was designed for four string players that wanted to play a V. Fender asked if they could copy many of the features on the RH-V and I agreed.

John, if you had noise problems, maybe you had a dysfunctional preamp, pickup or simple compatibility issues with the bass and your rig. After a number of sessions and tours, TV shows, there are incredibly few times that I've had a problem unless I was testing a new bridge pickup or some odd grounding issue. Separately, the EQ has a lot of tonal variance and it would be difficult to make that bass sound muddy. As for passive not being punchy, I limited the level to being 6db hotter when active while the EQ was flat. If running the mid and treble at -20%, one should achieve a decent balance between active/passive. I get plenty of growl in both modes. I would very much like to know of your recording setup and your live setup.

Heavy... sometimes. It's select alder with a nitro finish. Still, I can play a three hour show while running around with it on my back.

Just setting the record straight.

All the best,

RH

6. Reggie Hamilton

Reggie Hamilton

Jan 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    BTW, when we made the bass in 2000 (it was finished before the Custom Classic and the Victor Bailey), I wanted binding and the late 60's-early 70's logo but it was cost prohibitive to do the binding and we used the Custom Shop's silver spaghetti. We wanted the bass to be somewhat affordable. I also wanted the mini toggle but that didn't happen either. Life taught me that sometimes getting things done is about compromise. In any event, I still play that bass every day because I love it.

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I'm an engineer, welcome to my life! :D

Ken

8. john nam

Sep 23, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    hi reggie, it's very cool of you to chime in! yeah, i may have had a bad preamp because in active mode, if i had the bass knob dialed to the middle (12 noon), it became way boomy like you would hear on a low-rider :). also, the passive mode was like half the volume of active mode, so there may have been a short or something on mine. i did get mine used and it came with an j-retro preamp installed, which i changed back to the original Fender preamp that also came with the bass. the boominess was with the original preamp.

to answer your other question, my rig is a markbass 1x12 combo + a matching 1x15 cab.

here's a random question for you, how long have you had your bass and have you ever needed to get the frets leveled because of wear? also, do you mainly just play one bass or do you believe in having a few basses for different gigs?

9. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the neck width at the nut is the same as a Jazz Deluxe V, 1.87", correct?

10. john nam

Sep 23, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Yes, it is 1.875" at the nut.

11. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Thanks John.

I know it's been said before, but I wish there was a non-custom shop version of the 5 string.

12. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I had a chance to buy a Candy Apple Red V about a year ago and passed it up. Still kicking myself on that one, it was the only non-black or burst one I have ever seen.

Fantastic basses BTW!

13. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Wow! Never knew they were made in that color.

14. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I never did either. A store in Canada had it. It was a custom shop order the buyer flaked on. The store couldn't figure out shipping, taxes, whatever to the states. It was a beaut.

15. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    You know what they say, "the time to buy something is when you see it".

"They" must've been rich too.....;)

16. Reggie Hamilton

Reggie Hamilton

Jan 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    The RH CS IV and RH CS V basses actually come in four colors... black, sunburst, candy apple red and translucent blue. Don't worry, many people at the company didn't know it and it was posted on the Fender website for years.

John, I have never had to have the frets leveled. The prototype is 12 years old. I have different basses for various reasons. Some are for the same gig. Most of the time I only need the RH-V or RH-V fretless. I use stainless steel strings for most stuff, flats or black tape for others. As for your bad pre, some of the early preamps had a midrange stack pot with the wrong value. I received a bass with that problem, went through the circuit and voilá, there it was. The symptoms were the same as what you dealt with.

Morrisonhendrix... I wish that, too.

All the best,

RH

17. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Do any of the tone controls work when in passive mode?

18. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    According to the Fender Custom Shop website: Controls: Active Mode: Master Volume, Pickup Pan, 3-Band Active EQ. Passive Mode: Master Volume, Master Tone, Pickup Pan. I assume this applies to the four and five string models. Now if by any you are including the MIM version then, no. I bought one a few weeks ago and it does not have a passive mode tone control. But you can add one....

Ken

19. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks, Ken!