Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Bass, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Mark Bass

Mark Bass

Aug 20, 2005
    Hey, has anyone played one of these? I play a jazz bass but, thought that the P sound would be useful (on electric, I play mostly R&B, Gospel and Funk). Anyways, I'm curious about any comments fellow bassists may be able to offer. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out the exact differences between the custom artist series (list ~$3K) and the standard models (list ~$1K) of this bass. After researching, it seems that most of the hardware and wood on the custom series is of slightly higher quality. Additionally, the Custom takes 2 batteries (18 V active) and has the option of putting the strings through the body. Does the standard also have an 18V or is it only the usual 9 Volt Active preamp? Any input on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
    Keep on thompin, Mark B
  2. I have one. There is a big differences in the aesthetics, which will effect the sound. The neck on the 3k one uses quarter sawn maple with block inlays, the alder body uses thin nitro finish, the neck is a five bolt neck, and the body shape is a bit different than a jazz. I believe the pickups are the same between the 3K and the 1K basses. The electronics would probably be better on the 3K MIA than on the 1K MIM bass.

I have the MIM and have been very impressed by the sound of it. I am not super fond of the neck. I had a MIA Jazz and the neck felt better on the MIA Jazz, so I have a Warmoth neck on the way.

It gets a real nice Jazz sound and a wonderful P bass sound.