1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Reggie Hamilton standard jazz bass. what's your take ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Li'l D, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Li'l D

Li'l D

Apr 15, 2009
    Hello bassists, anyone out there in bass clef -land with any
    opinions on the Reggie Hamilton standard model?

I have been reading on the net, that some say the neck and action was a problem? Is is just something a tech can fix?

How was the tone? How was the neck? need the deets on them :bassist:

Li'l d

2. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have had the RH Jazz bass for about a year now and it is my main gig bass. I am running it through a V4BH + and SVT15E for smaller gigs or through a LMII + the SVT15E when I need more oomph. I use rounds that are as old as the bass and grimy and dead, just like I like it. Overall I am happy with the bass, it gives great versatility. When I use it for the variety Blues Band (Bubba Gump Voice..Swing blues , Jump blues, Slow blues, Chicago blues, Texas blues....) it really shines. I prmarily just use the P-pickup, but when a tune comes up where that really isn't what im looking for I dial the pickup selector to both pickups. This is almost like strapping on a new bass. When I bought the bass I was looking for a Jazz style body with a P pickup, that being said the bass doesn't have that P-Bass honk, it is much smoother IMO.

For guys who use flatwounds and like that motown thump I believe you would really like this bass.

I mostly use the bass in passive mode, however on the occasions I have gone directly into the house system the preamp was crucial and worked very nicely. 99% of the time when I engage the preamp it is because our volume jumped considerably during the song. Or when I'm using the V4BH and need more volume.

One thing that I really love abouth this bass is the fact that I can tune up, play a show, put the bass in its case and when I pick it up the next week it is still dead perfect in tune...

The de-tuner was a letdown for me for a long time, mainy because I had zero use for it. But I recently started playing with a latin/steel pan group (scsteelband.com) many of these latin tunes call for a low D...now it is a lifesaver.

O.k. so the Cons

Just like everyone I think the bass is on the heavy side, after a four hour gig you start to feel it. I went out and bought a super comfy strap though and it helped tremendously.

As far as the neck goes, it is a little chunky for my taste, it feels for like a P=Bass neck to me.....I am a big big fan of the slim-line fender type neck. That being said the neck plays wonderfully and is solid as a rock, it will still be here 50 years from now.

Overall, I was looking for a Jazz bass body with a true P Bass sound...I kinda got neither......However I got a bass that comes really close to it and is a ton more veratile. The body while jazz shape, the neck makes it not really a traditional jazz bass...This bass really is neither a P-Bass or a Jazz bass IMO but a happy hybrid.

When Fender comes out with a bass that has the slim fender neck and jazz style body (like my 94 CIJ Jazz) with only a split coil in the P-Bass position I would consider selling the RH Jazz until then I am happy.

jeffpdavid likes this.
  3. Li'l D

Li'l D

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanx ACUBASS Looking 4ward to hear ur reply

4. All I know is I want one so bad I wanna cry. And unless someone plays the specific one you are talking about, anecdotal evidence is all you can hope for. I doubt that across the board they have messed up necks from the factory.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think it's one of the best values in the Fender lineup, and an excellent bass. The U.S. pickups including a noiseless J, and the active/passive operation are real highlights. Panned all the way to the P pickup, it sounds just like an American Series Precision. I'd prefer a flatter fretboard radius, like Fender's usual 9.5", and the one I tried was heavy, but I still thought it was awesome.

6. I have a Custom Shop 5 string Reggie Hamilton and love it! I bought mine 2nd hand from USA to Australia and couldn't be happier. I know its not a Standard but it is the only experience I can share.

I would dearly love to get hold of a Reggie Standard to put a fretless neck on - that would be an awesome fretless.

7. I'd like to play one, I am quite interested to hear how it sounds... a friend of mine had one and didn't particularly like it, but thats just his taste.

8. Or lack thereof ;)

9. I don't own one but have played them many times, and haven't had any kind of problem with anything!

10. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    I owned one and while it was very versatile, I ultimately didn't like a few things about it

- blendable pickups (no separate volume) I didnt like
    - no tone knobs
    - neck was a bit weird for me, I prefer a standard jazz neck
    - heavy, at least mine was

all I can say is, if you are into tone shaping the EQ can help you lots, I'm a set it and forget it kind of guy so I used one setting on it, which sounded good (everything flat)

11. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    ^

12. Li'l D

Li'l D

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks to everyone out there with your input. In regards to neck thickness,
    is it similar to the 70's jazz bass ?

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020