Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Reggie Hamiton Jazz or Aerodyne Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chronicfreeze, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz

64.0%
  2. Fender Aerodyne Jazz

36.0%
  1. I've got it narrowed down to these two after playing the Aerodyne yesterday (unfortunately I haven't been able to play the Reggie, as no local stores have it). My gut tells me to go w/ the Reggie, but I've wanted the Aerodyne for a long time. Playing habits are the in the realm of math rock, jazz, and occasional prog. The links are below.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FEN-138700-306.html

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FEN-254505-506--4-string-electric-bass-guitars--m-2_22_99.html

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Do you want more of a traditional sound? If so, I'd say the reggie. The Aerodyne does sound great, but it's a different sound for sure - I liked it but didn't find it very satisfying.

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    the reggie is insanely expensive. i would get the aerodyne, it was good enough for duff so its probably good enough for me

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The US model is, but the MIM model linked to is $770 new - only $150 more than the Aerodyne

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    ah...I didnt follow the links, they didnt seem to work for me

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    If he's comparing the Reggie to the Aerodyne, most likely he's talking about the Reggie Standard MIM version, at around $700 IIRC.

I'd say go with the Reggie, since you'll have the active preamp and therefore more tonal options

But, of course, No one can really tell you what to get. Everyone has different preferences.

7. There are two different types of Reggie's.

One of em costs like $2k or 3k and the other one is somewhere around $600-700. I'm asuming your looking at the cheaper of the two, since it's about the same price as the Aerodyne.

I say get the Aerodyne, you already know you like it. I've never owned either one, but I've played both. I really like the Aerodyne but wasn't impressed with the Reggie, I just had higher expectations. The Areodyne, IMO, is a much nicer bass.

Good Luck

8. Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I'm eyeing the MIM Reggie, not the Custom MIA

9. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I've owned an Aerodyne and have played a Reggie. If it were my money, I'd pick the Reggie.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I haven't owned either, and have only played the Aerodyne. I liked it, but I'd probably go with the Reggie because of the U.S. pickups (importantly including a noiseless J) and flexibility of active/passive operation. I think the Aerodyne looks cooler though. I'd probably prefer the comparably priced Frank Bello sig to either of them, but nobody seems to have it yet.

11. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    Pesonally, I don't like the Aerodynes ultra-thin profile. I hate laying my arm across a sharpish edge. YMMV.
    Peace

12. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    aerodynes are just hideous

13. hamilton, way sexier and alot less boring looking, more features too.

14. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Reggie is much higher spec'd. Probably the highest spec "lower range" Fender.

15. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    I say get the Aerodyne. It's build quality will be better being CIJ. The only hang up I have with it is the basswood body. Basswood tone isn't for me. But, those being the two choices...Aerodyne. If you're shopping by price range, maybe you should seriously consider a US Highway model. The cheap laquer finish makes 'em sound...good.

16. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    my experience with a reggie was this:

I got it to do a setup, the neck was defective so i didn't touch it, the store sent the neck to fender for replacement and now the guy has had a body sitting at home for about 2 months already with no bass to play.

Solution:
    buy from someone else.

used lakland skyline?