1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender reissue 62 jazz bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fender78man, Sep 26, 2008.

1. fender78man

fender78man

Sep 16, 2008
    I just bought thouse of ebay. I never heared or such pickups, I heared of fender originals, noiseless, 75 re jazz bass pickups, and 60's classic series.

These are the one's:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....p://my.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta

If you read on fender site it says that fender 60's reissue pickups have a cloth leads.

I guess these were taken off from the new japanese 62 reissue fender's because it's got that metal bit attached to the bridge pickup.. They are plastic wires if you can see. And one of them is in red.. Strange. Mmmm..

Can any of you experts can tell me what pickups these are?

2. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    They are what they are described as - pickups from a brand new Fender American 62 Reissue Jazz Bass....did you expect them to be from 1962?

3. fender78man

fender78man

Sep 16, 2008
    No of course I didn;t expect them to be vintage. The only thing is that on the fender.com website it states that those pickups have cloth instead of plastic on the wires. And if you look at the photo , the pickups I bought clearly have a plastic wires..

That's why I find it a bit odd if they say that it is 62 reissue pickups...

4. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    That vendor sells a LOT of Fender parts - you might want to question them. Maybe they mixed them up with another set somewhere...

5. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    You are right about the cloth wires. The MIA 62RIs have as stock the Original pickups: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-USA-Fender-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

These pickups you have bought possibly originate from the CIJ 62RI. They call them "US Vintage". I used to have CIJ 62 RI P-bass and upon close inspection and research I have found that these "US Vintage" pickups in CIJ 62 reissue were the same pickups as are in the stock MIA US Standard P-bass.

So you probably got pickups that are not bad, but these are not being put in the MIA reissues.

6. fender78man

fender78man

Sep 16, 2008
    True.. MOst probably you are right they are standard USA.

Do you know what kind is standard USA pickup? Is it alnico 5?

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The pickups from my old MIA 62 RJ had cloth leads. The pickups from my MIJ 75 RI J are teflon/plastic coated. A set I bought as reissues from a MIJ 62 RI were teflon. Not sure of the magnet material in these. They were OK, not fabulous.

8. fender78man

fender78man

Sep 16, 2008

How did the pickups from MIJ 62RI compared to your MIA 62 RI?

Was there a big sound difference? Different frequencies, lows, mids?

Thanks...

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I never had them side by side for a good comparison. I generally don't prefer Fender pickups as supplied stock. The CS 60's J pickups would be an exception to that. For a good, not expensive 60's sound it's hard to beat the Duncan SJB-1 so I generally pull out the stock pickups and start there. there's a bunch others that I like as well - all in the same basic ball park but with some subtle or not so subtle differences - and significantly higher price tags to match.

10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Do you have the pickups?

Is the coil wire copper colored or auburn/purple? If it's copper colored they aren't the USA '62 Originals.

Do you have a dial caliper? Are the magnets .188" or .197" in diameter? If .197", that translates to 5mm and they aren't USA '62 Originals.

Do you have a picture of them with the covers removed?

11. fender78man

fender78man

Sep 16, 2008

I am waiting for them to arrive to UK from USA So they should be in 2 weeks time.

I actually bought as well a fender usa p precision bass pickup from the same ebay store.. It stated that it is an american vintage alnico, but I am not sure about that cause it looks like a highway 1 or standard usa pickup?

Got this pickup here will check tommorow what kind of wire colour it is.

Regarding jazz bass pickups I will check the dimentions and wire colour as well. They got this metal plate attached to the underside of the pickups... So.. Maybe that gives you a bit of a clue?