Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Reissues Driving Me Nuts!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Jul 13, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It just occurred to me the reason Jaco signature basses don't look right! Pau Ferro fingerboard! It's too red of a wood. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would do this!

I was looking at making my own bass of doom, then considered buying one only to find out that it's very little like the original!

2. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    fenders website says:

Fingerboard: Epoxy Coated, Round Laminate, Rosewood Fingerboard

edit: never mind, thats the reliced version

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, the regular Signature version is Pao Ferro and Polyurethane Coated.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

5. I don't see what your complaint is...it's a "re-issue", not a "signature" model.

Historically, "signature" models have some design differences, while the "re-issues" try to emulate the original beast.

epoxy-covered rosewood is more authentic.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I can't find any sources that say ANYWHERE that they used Pau Ferro in the '60's. That's my biggest problem.

7. Here's some clarification after having a good look through the Fender site:

The Artist Series Jaco model has the polyester coated pau ferro fingerboard.

The Jaco Pastiorius Tribute model from the Custom Shop has the authentic expoxied rosewood board, and is also complete with distressing and drill holes to approximate the original Bass of Doom.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, we're aware of that, the artist series and tribute models are very different...which DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!

9. Actually, I think it DOES make a little sense.

The tribute models try to capture the instrument as the artist played/plays it, while the artist series are totally new instruments that are only "inspired" by the original artist.

Look at the "Sting" bass...it really isn't like his '57 P-Bass at all.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    To me, thats where it doesn't make sense. An artist model should be something that the artist does use... Like Billy Sheehan using off the shelf Yamaha Attitudes with a slight wiring mod, or Jack Casady using an off the shelf Epiphone, or Marcus Miller having a MM Signature 5 in his arsenal. Not this stuff with pau ferro and whatnot.

11. I understand your point completely. but, it just doesn't appear to be Fender's marketing strategy, for whatever reason.

My guess is because the gen'l population is more apt to purchase a Jazz Bass polyester-coated Pau Ferro fingerboard than an epoxy-coated rosewood bass. Or at least, Fender thinks so.

It would be very interesting, however, if someone could A-B the two instruments and give a report.

Anyone work in a music shoppe with both models in stock? ANYONE?