Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Relic P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bucephylus, Nov 11, 2005.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I played a '59 Relic P at the local shop this morning while my wife was at the knitting shop. I'm kind of skeptical about this artificial relic stuff, but this bass just killed. It was one of the best P's I've ever put my hands on, including the real vintage stuff. Has anyone done a 1 to 1 comparison between the Fender CS relics and NOS? Is there anything tonal that actually comes out of that process?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No, they sound and play identical. Some people just like playing beaten-up looking basses and guitars. I don't like playing beaten-up basses either. Unfortunately, I don't have any that aren't.

3. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Thanks. I honestly could give a rip what the instrument looks like one way or the other. This was a great sounding instrument. I'm just trying to understand whether this relic thing has tonal aspects. So, you are saying it doesn't? Then, I would conclude the CS is turning out some serious instruments at relatively reasonable cost.

4. Denni_Monroe

Denni_Monroe

Nov 12, 2005
    The Relic is aged with techiques that give the instrument an authentic vibe, just like a real vintage pre-CBS model. I have played many NOS, Closet Classic, and Relic customer shop models that are the real deal.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I have played a Relic custom shop Jaco bass.
    Best new fender I ever played.
    The Relic stuff is good.

6. Relicing has no effect on tone unless you think it does.

7. MikeM

MikeM

Apr 21, 2004
    Edmonton
    I have only ever played one of these things unplugged it was very alive and thick sounding, felt great. But the idea of having someone beat up your bass on purpose is a bit weird :eyebrow: I think I would like the closet classic one, if thats the one with faded looking paint but no abuse if not you know the one I mean. and that is assuming they sound the same.

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    One of the best instruments money can buy... Compared to anybody's instrument of that style. All the Custom Shop stuff is killer!!

9. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    did it have any deadspots on the G?

10. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    I learned a long time ago to taste with my ears and not my eyes. As originally stated, I'm not real big on the cosmetic aspects.

11. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Yup, I know what you are referring to. It would be so easy to compare IF you could find both basses at the same time and actually check out if there are any differences. I guess a visit to Sam Ash in NYC might allow that; but, this store only has this one CS product.

I'm sure there is also the bass to bass variation tied up in the whole problem. The CS stuff may be great, but it is hard to find shops with rack after rack of their instruments to make an informed selection.

12. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Thanks. Do you notice any sonic differences between the instruments due to the relicing process? Or is it strictly cosmetic?

13. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    As in around Eflat? No, this one was pretty clean all over.

14. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Thanks mucho for all the replies.

I know a lot of TBer's are not impressed with the relic process. I'm also pretty skeptical. Please don't bother posting if you don't have any hands on experience with these instruments, just to air opinions. I already understand your point of view. We need information from folks who've used them.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've had similar experience with ever Fender "relic" that I've played as well. They're made in the Fender "Custom Shop" which says a lot.

16. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I've played that same model ('59 P relic) several times, and I think it's a very, very nice bass. Personally, I've always loved the feel of an old neck with the gloss all worn off of the neck, and the tone was excellent. As far as the 'relic'-ed apperance, I like it, but I don't. I like a bass that's a bit scuffed and beat-up, but that's because it shows that bass has a real history of having the crap played out of it. When some guys at the Shop are doing it, it just loses some of its charm.

17. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I think it is hilarious that people are willing to pay extra to get a beat to **** instrument. These are the same type of people who probably buy jeans with holes already ripped in them.

18. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    That's exactly the point. I think most of us sound like we are on the same page. And, if it was 100% cosmetic, I won't (pay extra for it; less if anything). However, I'm now having a hard time separating the cosmetic vs tonal aspects of this relic thing. If it has tonal aspects, which seemed the case to me, then there is more to it than meets the eye, and there is then a legit argument for it. I think that is the interesting discussion point. Your point is already taken into account.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally I could care less about the beat up part of the relics I've played. They're just plain nice basses, whether the "relic"ness or not.

20. sears

sears

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    If you put a ding in your relic it's still "brand new," no? That would be an argument for buying one (at least through mail order) over a closet classic. Try it on a few gigs, don't worry about its condition, return it within 30 days, that kind of thing..?