Fender repair experts!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chicago_mike, Aug 21, 2009.

1. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    For a Crown Vic. :smug:

Okay so a couple weeks ago I got involved in a hit and run with my former squad car. I already replaced the front clip pretty much ( finishing Saturday ).

Q: Theres rear quarter panel damage where the speeding drunk hit me and then flew off. Most the damage is right behind the wheel well. The trunk in that area is pushed in a little, but not enough for the trunk to be totally screwed. I dont have the dosh to take it to a garage and have them reform the whole section...wich when you see it done, its totally cool.

So...body hammer and bondo and patience, but when I am doing the body hamer part...are there andy good tips or tricks? Or just patience and a 2x4 against the outer surface?

Thanks. Pics can be found on my facebook page detailing what i am doing to my car.

2. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
  3. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    ooohh....I think Ill have to try that. Its cheap enough! TY

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you do it yourself, I assume you don't really care how it looks afterward. You can pound out just about anything by putting a 2x4 against the dent from inside the trunk, and smacking it with a 5-pound hammer. When you're done, the outside will look like someone hammered on it - get a rattle can and paint it the outrageous color of your choice. Or if you have some spare house paint, grab a brush and get after it.

We did this with an old '67 buick stock car - pounded out all the fenders, poured the remenants of every type of blue paint we had into one can, grabbed a brush and painted that sucker. Called it "Petty blue" because that term came to mind.

5. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Let me know how it turns out!

Post pics here if possible (or links to pics).

Subscribed! ;)

6. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    I have some photos on my facebook page of where she is at right now. I keep the photo book updated regularly. I dont really want to do it myself, but I might have to. Its ugly but the car is driveable and that is the most important.

Ill kep everybody posted

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021