1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender replacement necks & bodies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J0hn, Nov 28, 2017.

1. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I was in the market for a MIM P bass to add to my arsenal but after searching through tons of used listings online I couldn't find the color/wood combo I wanted for a good price. A brand new one would have been $560 or so. I have an EMG pick up set, a Hipshot bridge, and some highway 1 tuners sitting around so I decided to just buy a new genuine Fender replacement neck and body (about $350 for both).

So my question is for people with experience using these genuine fender replacement bodies and necks- how is the fit? Should I expect a nice tight neck pocket right out of the box or will some alterations be needed?

I hope this was a good choice. My thought was since I already have all the other parts why not use them and end up with a brand new upgraded MIM for over $200 less than a new complete standard MIM P would cost me.

2. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    I find that they generally fit pretty well. They have their processes down.

J0hn likes this.
  3. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Cool, thanks. I have swapped a lot of necks on Fenders in my day and they rarely are a perfect fit for me, but most of them have been Fender necks on Squier bodies, or MIA on MIA bodies. Crossing my fingers on this one.

4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The replacement neck’s nut will be pre-slotted, but you will still need to file the nut. Probably less expensive to have someone do it than to buy nut files for one-time use.

J0hn likes this.
  5. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I actually have a nut that I'll be replacing it with. I do have a set of files though.